Today's Tiny Write

Hildene Essay Contest

Every year, Hildene, The Lincoln Family Home in Manchester, VT, runs the Lincoln Essay Competition for 8th graders throughout Vermont.  

First place winners receive $1000, second place $750, third place $500, and honorable mentions $250.

The deadline for submissions is Lincoln’s birthday, February 12, 2018. This year’s topic:

This year's essay topic:
Describe a current or recent event in which the actions of the participant(s) may be viewed as patriotic by some and as unpatriotic by others.  Discuss the differing points of view.  What is your position and why?

Complete application packets (including guidelines and tips) can be downloaded: http://www.hildene.org/schools.html.

Contact: Stephanie at [email protected]

Jul 31

Tiny Highlights

Editor's Note: Here are some of the highlighted Tiny Writes published on the front page:

I went to bed fifteen, and woke up sixteen. I think I expected my heart to beat differently; to my disappointment, it was just as quiet as it had always been.
- irishjayne

The old woman trudged up the sandy hill, 
her fingers worn 
and permanently bent
from being crossed so many times
only to be disappointed like in a slow-motion movie scene
- dogpoet

There's a voice in my head that narrates everything I see. In the depths of emotion, the voice still tries to put a narrative spin on everything. I've always condemned it as a sign of egotism, of pretentious, that it meant what I was feeling was fake. Maybe I should try and accept that it's just there because I can't turn off being a storyteller.
Jul 22

YWP's new address!

Voices for Change! This Friday

Don't miss this FREE youth conference and slam poetry celebration of identity and voice with special guest artist Amir Sulaiman, renowned Muslim slam poet. Voices for Change is presented by Young Writers Project, Muslim Girls Making Change (MGMC) & our generous sponsors!
Friday, May 11, 4-9 pm
Contois Auditorium, Burlington City Hall, Burlington, VT
Free and open to all (some material might not be suitable for children under 13).
"Amir Sulaiman is going to own the stage during his performance and will leave the crowd in complete awe, just how he left me in awe when I first saw him."
- Lena Ginawi, Muslim Girls Making Change

​An Appreciation Speech to Candy

By Michael Fernandez

I just want to take a moment to give a shout-out to candy because none of this would have been possible without it.  Candy has been there for me in the good times and the bad times, and also in all the times in between. Special mention goes to gummy bears, sour gummies, jelly beans, Nutella, cookies, and s’mores. Ice cream for being there in my sad moments, popsicles for being there to share the happy ones.

We never listened to the haters like broccoli who said we couldn’t make it. I want to thank my organs for somehow supporting my candy diet. You’ve never let me down. We’re in this together. I can’t believe this all started off as a small dream of just eating a candy bar when it grew into so much more – a world full of ice cream sundaes, fudge, cakes, and puddings. You all mean the world to me. Thank you for being there whenever I need you!

Writers Please Read!

Hello writers!
As many of you know, our website was compromised last weekend when the server that houses the site had a problem. As a result, we had to remove all material posted between 4/17 and 4/21 for a few tech-y reasons we need not get into.
Fear not - we did not lose the material and we've reposted it. (You should see your work reposted in your personal blogs now.)
HOWEVER - despite not losing the writing, we have lost much of its corresponding data. This includes:

SoundCheck rocked!