Details (MadCap: Non-Magnetic Poetry)

Silvi (MadCap: Character Bowl)

Silvi, 32, a card shark. Always looking for the hustle.

Tonight, she can be found in the small club downtown, wearing blue stilettoes and an ivory evening dress, a patterned shawl draped over her shoulders and Foofoo sitting on the booth seat next to her.

Her little dog, the kind that fits in a purse, the kind that some people call a "purse rat," his name was Foofoo. Yes. Cringe. But, really, we should feel sorry for Foofoo.

He never understood what this "hustle" was that Silvi was always looking for. She carried him around in her blinged-out, overpriced, leopard print hand bag and ruffled up his little head saying "Foofoo, there's the hustle. I see it. We're almost there..... Mama's gonna her her hustle."

Road Creatures

There are so many creatures on the road this fall. They scare me quite often when I am driving. It is startling to suddenly catch sight of a little thing inching across the road, fluttering from spot to spot above the blacktop, or scurrying in zig zags on its tiny little nonexistent paws. My heart inside seizes, signaling my reflexes that soon they might be needed. And then, all at once, just as abruptly as it came, the tightness splits off and the warning disperses. Before me, remains. The curled, dried leaves as they stick to the road, taunting and stooging, their spirits aglow.

I Snapped (October 26th, 2017)

Snapshots of a Far Too Warm October

I saw at least two bumble bees today
On heads of pink-red clover.
They were moving slowly
And they weren't buzzing.

The air isn't fresh and crisp
The way fall air should be.
It doesn't nip at my cheeks in the morning
Nor make me wish I'd put a jacket on when I go out to lock up the chickens at dusk.

Leaves are reluctantly accumulating on the ground
Hardwoods are shifting to reds and yellows
But the turning leaves just aren't convincing
The lack of bird song isn't fitting, instead it's comfortless.

The sunlight isn't golden in that flawless autumn way
It doesn't illuminate grey-brown branches and weathered siding
It doesn't warm and slow the day until time stops in the glowing syrup of autumn afternoons
When high schoolers abandon homework for walking into town and lingering in the grass.

Slip Away

I was so tempted, this evening, to slip away into the autumn night.

The stars just beginning to peek out from behind their daylight hiding places.

The breeze cool, just a touch of chilly, not yet cold.

This sweater thick, and warm, and comforting.

Find a bed of fallen leaves to curl up in.

Place my head at the base of a knowing tree.

Close my eyes, and curl up.

Sleep until the warm sunlight wakes me.

But I betrayed my soul, my gentler spirit, and I entered the heated house where my relatives held grudges, expected homework, and grew tired of me. I pushed my yearn for something truly wild down inside of me. For another night, another chance-- I'll wait.

I wish I'd slept outside tonight.

I wish I'd followed my footsteps, not my commands.

I wish I'd slipped away into this autumn night.

Puddle of Orange Juice

Your puddle of orange juice migrated down the slope of the table and began dribbling onto the floor. The drips made splat marks on the stained, white linoleum, like paint that the artist didn't notice when she was cleaning up.

Hours passed and the water evaporated, leaving a sticky patch, and then a film, where the juice had been.

Days passed and the dog sniffed at the tacky film, licking up part of it. Ants came and went, mysteriously transporting invisible portions of the dehydrated puddle. A few flies visited the splat marks and rubbed their front legs together, the way flies do. Charlie's sock-covered foot stepped on the stained linoleum and covered the spot where the juice had been.

Before long, no one remembered your puddle of spilled orange juice.

Toad in a Hole

The toad was in a hole.

"Why are you in a hole?" asked the spider-man.

"I am in a hole because I want to be in a hole," responded the toad.

"Oh," said the spider-man. "That's cool."

"It is," said the toad. "But I have a question for you."

The spider-man smiled.

"Why am I an egg?" asked the toad.

"Well," said the spider-man, "I am not sure. I think it is because your parents named you an egg."

"Hmm," said the toad. "I think you must be right. ... What did your parents name you?"

"They named me Ezra," said the spider-man.

"Why did they name you Ezra?" asked the toad. "You're not an Ezra."

"I know," said the spider-man. "But you're not an egg."