Slip Away

I was so tempted, this evening, to slip away into the autumn night.

The stars just beginning to peek out from behind their daylight hiding places.

The breeze cool, just a touch of chilly, not yet cold.

This sweater thick, and warm, and comforting.

Find a bed of fallen leaves to curl up in.

Place my head at the base of a knowing tree.

Close my eyes, and curl up.

Sleep until the warm sunlight wakes me.

But I betrayed my soul, my gentler spirit, and I entered the heated house where my relatives held grudges, expected homework, and grew tired of me. I pushed my yearn for something truly wild down inside of me. For another night, another chance-- I'll wait.

I wish I'd slept outside tonight.

I wish I'd followed my footsteps, not my commands.

I wish I'd slipped away into this autumn night.

Puddle of Orange Juice

Your puddle of orange juice migrated down the slope of the table and began dribbling onto the floor. The drips made splat marks on the stained, white linoleum, like paint that the artist didn't notice when she was cleaning up.

Hours passed and the water evaporated, leaving a sticky patch, and then a film, where the juice had been.

Days passed and the dog sniffed at the tacky film, licking up part of it. Ants came and went, mysteriously transporting invisible portions of the dehydrated puddle. A few flies visited the splat marks and rubbed their front legs together, the way flies do. Charlie's sock-covered foot stepped on the stained linoleum and covered the spot where the juice had been.

Before long, no one remembered your puddle of spilled orange juice.

Toad in a Hole

The toad was in a hole.

"Why are you in a hole?" asked the spider-man.

"I am in a hole because I want to be in a hole," responded the toad.

"Oh," said the spider-man. "That's cool."

"It is," said the toad. "But I have a question for you."

The spider-man smiled.

"Why am I an egg?" asked the toad.

"Well," said the spider-man, "I am not sure. I think it is because your parents named you an egg."

"Hmm," said the toad. "I think you must be right. ... What did your parents name you?"

"They named me Ezra," said the spider-man.

"Why did they name you Ezra?" asked the toad. "You're not an Ezra."

"I know," said the spider-man. "But you're not an egg."
Jul 21

Blue Window Lady

I was not able to find the creator of this image. I recieved the image from an organizer at the NEYWC.

This is an Ekphrastic poem written with one line from each of the 10 members of Team Pancake. Team Pancake was a writer's group at the 2017 NEYWC. I was lucky enough to be a part of Team Pancake.
Team Pancake: Katrina, Clay, Jasmine, Emilia, Sage,  Jeremiah, Em, Karina, & myself.

Blue Window Lady

Everything is upright except for a woman bent at the back peering out the window.

If she closes her eyes, shuts her ears, maybe she could taste the wind. Maybe she could forget the plates, clothes, and man.

In her peach pink dress, she hears silence knocking.

Why wear your hair up? Give yourself a break.

It's maybe 4 PM but you can tell the hour's passing slowly, dripping through as the midday does.
Jul 21

Ekphrastic Poem 5/18/17

NEYWC 2017-- Ekphrastic Poem with Team Pancake

Shade next to sunlight and edges of siding, grass, and pines.

Peaking just around the window frame, the lamp and its shade match the fiery field.

It is the afternoon, just before the sun sinks below the hills.

He wonders why her eyes stare so eagerly towards the sun.

Violent gusts of wind bully the branches, warping and twisting them in all directions.

Claire. Her name is Claire.

Claire can feel the warmth of the sun radiating off the rusted grass, and reflecting onto the wall behind her.

And, just before, she had run to the window.

Her pulse strengthening with every repetition, Claire felt more alive in the sun.

Jul 21
poem 1 comment challenge: Milk

Cats

The milk spilled and the barn cats came running. Not just the usual two or three who turn up at milking time for a squirt from the udder, but all forty seven of them. You know how cats walk silently and are so talented at sneaking up on things? Well, it turns out that forty seven cats racing all at once towards a single pail of spilt milk sound just the same silent way. And so, when the milk spilled and the barn cats came running, no one heard them.

The pail was full right up to the brim and a fly buzzing by had paused to soak up the sun on the shiny rim. Somehow, that little black fly had landed and placed its weight just right to tip over the pail of foamy, warm, fresh-from-the-cow milk.

to be continued
#sos17
Jul 20

Blueberry Poem (for 7/19/17)

(The audio recording is of the last two stanzas which I recorded while picking blueberries. If you listen closely, you might be able to hear the pie tins and birds.)

Blueberry Poem

Follow the shade in the morning for as long as you can,
Hopping down the row, down the hill, from bush to bush.
The way the sunlight falls through the hedgerow and the trees above it
Leaves some shady splotches and then some sun-soaked bits.

In the morning, if you follow the shade you'll stay cooler.
And you'll spend less time bent over picking in the sun
With your shirt climbing up your back,
Leaving your lower back exposed.

The blueberry patch is a battle field this morning.
The birds have pecked away at least half the berries on the first bush, the second bush.
I continue down the hill to the third bush and then decide that following the shade is a better idea.
And so I jump several bushes down.
Jul 18

Searching Eyes

Alone on the beach, she watched the waves and longed for their salty kisses on her bare feet. The woman wore a deep blue dress of soft, flowing cotton. Her bright eyes were hidden behind black sunglasses and her chin rested on the top of her closed hand. Her elbow pressed into the arm of her chair. The woman's feet rested upon the sand, the criss-crossing pattern from her vacant sandals burned onto the tops of her feet in tan. Just the natural tan from spending so much time outdoors. It was not a tan the woman had worked or paid for. It was one that grew as she soaked up the sun on hikes and inhaled cool, sea-sprayed air on the coast.

The woman's hands were home to several rings, silver and light gold ones that she'd worn since high school. On her wrist, a light gold rimmed watch on a small white leather band-- also worn since her teenage years.
Jul 09

You! Twelve Days Later, Seven Days Since Departure

Jul 09

Oh, What a Wonderful Wedding

Oh, what a wonderful wedding. There was even a cake. Who knew there was cake at weddings? Ridiculous! And it had seven layers. That cake was so dang tall that they used a step ladder to reach the top and a machete to cut it. Better yet, that cake was strawberry with bright green insides just to mess with you and catch the eater off guard. Green cake, I ain't never seen a cake so green. The crumbs fell across the floor like grass had started growing in the kitchen. But, the crucial part was that the cake had a crumb, and a good one at that. A good crumb, of course, is the most important part of the cake. But, the cake wasn't the only thing at the wedding. Even if it was the brightest green anyone had ever seen. There were guests too. And a couple. You know, those two people who are the ones getting married. They're important. You can't have the wedding without them. Unless some of the guests volunteer to be married to each other. Then you could have a wedding.