earleyg's picture

Cries

I'm a cryer. I'm just gonna get it out of the way. It's said that on average, women cry twice a month and men once a month, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that those numbers don't apply to me. I used to always think that in the seconds after something drastic happens, you have a choice; cry or hold it in. A few times, I surrendered to twin waterfalls on my face, and other times, I let a stone expression mask my inner feelings. It feels good to let loose sometimes, to just unleash pent-up emotions, some you may not even know you had. It's a way of deeply expressing yourself, putting clear visuals center stage and letting the waterworks take you down the river. Of course, it depends on the severity of the cause that will affect the level of reaction. Had a rough day? Shed a tear. Had a small fight? Hyperventilate. Was just at the wrong place at the wrong time? Suck it up! Had the worst day of your life and wish you could change what you did?
earleyg's picture

A Community Within A Community

Have you ever been part of something within something? A society within a society? A club within a club? A community within a community? Where you're tight-knit and friends and you know each other. Where you can predict how others will react and vice versa. I have been part of a community within a community, and I loved it. It was definitely my favorite two years. There was always something interesting, something new, something challenging. But I had friends who were taking me along for the ride and days when I would lead. But it wasn't just us; no it was a much larger community. We had culinary, science med, autobody, design and much more. If you were to remove us from the main community, we would not only survive, but thrive. We had people specializing in different fields with promising results. We had our own criminal justice and digital media.
earleyg's picture

Should We Cure Autism Or Not? – Speech Class

The debate about whether there should be a cure for autism or not has taunted both sides with theories and fears. In 2009, the United Kingdom's Advertising Standards Authority negatively called out the Son-Rise program, a center that mentors parents about autism and treatments, because of an ad that made them sound like they could "cure" autism. Yet between 3-25% of people seemingly "outgrow" their diagnosis, meaning that the autistic label becomes inappropriate.
earleyg's picture

Why I Write –– Quick Free Write

Because it's easier to write than to talk
Because my words on the page are louder than my vocal cords
Because words on a page last longer than words in the air
I write to express myself in more ways than one
I write to remember and forget things I have done
I write cause it's a freedom of speech
And a chance for me to teach
What awaits on the tip of my tongue
That I cannot speak for reasons unknown
Mind blown.
Because I get caught up in life
Because I got an unspeakable strife
Because I sometimes don't know which way is right
That is why I write.
earleyg's picture

Dawn and Dusk

The Dawn chases the Dusk away
The morning chases the Dawn
The Dusk chases the evening a while
Before Twi and Day are gone
With morning brings dewdrops and fog
With evening, color-scattered skies
With Dawn rises the First Light for All
And Dusk reveals the Hidden Lives
This brother and sister chase themselves silly
Unfazed by the passage of time
Stopping only long enough
To let Morning and Evening shine

earleyg's picture

Yáng

It began with a class field trip to China organized by my real-life teacher to film the culture, tourist attractions and beautiful scenery. I, not like my real-life self, was eager to go to China. The other students and teacher melted away once we arrived and I found myself in a large courtyard that resemboled the inside of the Forbidden City. But it couldn't be...
earleyg's picture

It Was Only A Dream

For those of you who haven't watched The Book of Life or The Shack yet, this may seem a little out of context. But for those who have, I can only describe it as I relived it. Well, at least the basic outline. Recently my dog passed away and I was devastated. Weeks later, I had a very strange but reassuring dream. It began with me traveling quickly through these fantastical worlds, including a video game style universe, a flooded world where streetlamps changed the color of rainwater from silver to gold, and a thick jungle. I didn't stay in each world for very long. I was on a quest; a mission to get somewhere I didn't quite know where, but my feet told me where to go. When I reached the end, I found myself staring at my house. Cautiously, I entered, and although it was slightly rearranged, the majority of it was the same.
earleyg's picture

Nightmare

I always thought that a nightmare had to be a dream provoking fear in someone. But I now know that that is not true. A nightmare can be any unpleasant and or distressing dream that causes anger, grief or fear. That night when I woke up with my pillow wet, my cheeks dampened with salty tears and my eyes red not only from sleep, I knew I had a nightmare. And not just any nightmare; a deep, powerful one that stirred up a whole storm of emotions. That same morning when I kept tearing up at breakfast and in the bathroom while getting ready for school, and when I couldn't focus very well in school, I knew it. It was as bad as I had thought in my dream. Fear manifests itself differently in different people. It can cause the fight or flight response, or completely shut a person down. But prompted by another emotion can cause the victim to act in another way. Experiencing both grief and fear impelled that I act in another way during my dream.