Jul 14
maxwellz's picture

YWP Annual Anthology

maxwellz's picture

My days in the trees

As I sit on top of the old shaky tree, I see the wavy mountains with trees covering every square inch. I see deer eating in a far away field. The baby stays close to his mother. As the sit there the sun slowly starts to fade away behind the mountains. The deer run into the forest and my surroundings are now all black. I curl up in a tight ball and lay against the branches of the old tree. I think of the deer and where they might have gone. I think of others waking up on the other side of the world with the bright sun glaring inside their windows. As I lay in the tree I smell the dry grass and feel the sharp bark next to my head. I lay on top of the old shaky tree and as I wake my eyes start to see the wavy mountains with trees covering every square inch again. 
maxwellz's picture

Summer dreams

As i sit in class, i think 
I think about summer 
Summer is when i get to wear shorts 
Shorts are comfortable and cool
Cool breezes are refreshing on a summer day 
Day by day i dream of the sun 
Sunshine that makes me tan 
Tan that fades away when winter comes again 
Again and again i wish for a day on the beach 
Beach with sand and waves
Waves crash in my brain as i try to remember 
Remember the days when i laid in the sand
Sand in my toes and hair 
Hair blowing through the wind as i walk on the beach 

#vtwrites18
poem 0 comments challenge: I Like
maxwellz's picture

Happy times

I like the night when we bring out all the boxes 
Their old plastic lids with labels written in sharpie
I like the feeling of opening them up and seeing the memories from last year
Santa hats, tinsel, and the bright lights
I like the smell of eggnog with little shavings of nutmeg on top 
Sipping it in our old Santa mugs with happy and grumpy faces 
I like the ornaments and lights 
The huge box full, cute and ugly, colorful and worn 
I like the feeling of plugging in the tree 
The colorful lights blinding my eyes 
I like the shiny red and green wrapping paper 
Tied around the boxes that sit under the tree 
I like the taste of the warm treats 
The warm inside and flaky outside 
I like the snow outside the window 
Snowman stand with snow falling on their heads
I like the fun Christmas movies
The fire and warm lights comfort us as we watch 
poem 0 comments challenge: I Am
maxwellz's picture

I am who I am

I am who I am 
I am the kind of person who speaks their mind
The person who doesn’t care what others think 
The person who will stand up for what’s right 

I am who I am 
I am the kind of person who sings in the shower 
The person who dances when hearing any music 
The person who will sing the high note during karaoke 

I am who I am 
I am the kind of person who plays to win
The person who isn’t afraid to get dirty 
The person who plays fairly

I am who am 
I am the kind of person who helps a friend 
The person who asks for help 
The person who says, Please and Thank you

I am who I am 
I am the kind of person who draws for fun 
The person who paints for hours 
The person who loves color 

I am who I am 
I am the kind of person who bursts into laughter 
The person who jokes 
The person who is silly and serious 
I am who I am 

maxwellz's picture

Ducky

“RINGGGG!” 
The bell at my school rings, which means it's time for after school. I grab my stuff from my cubby with the help of my teacher and walk out the front door of Edmunds Elementary School. I stroll over to the counselor standing on the small hill with her clipboard out in front of her. I run up to her and yell, “It my Birthday!” With a big grin on my face. She smiles and tells me to go on to the playground. I skip up the big steps with woodchip covering the weeds trying to peek out of the big gray stones. I run over to my sister and give her a huge hug. She asked how my half day was and if my friends liked my cupcakes I brought into class for my birthday. I reply and say that I am excited to go to Pizza Putt.
It was a half day at our school so the after school program is taking us to Pizza Putt. 
maxwellz's picture

Ducky

“RINGGGG!” 
maxwellz's picture

The Sweatshirt

It's a brisk spring morning, I wake up energized but groggy. The sun hits my eyes from the opening in my curtains. I cover my eyes with my hands and rub my fists into my face. I get out of bed and put my slippers on, they seem to hug my cold feet. Before I leave my cozy room I grab a sweatshirt, the one my dad got me before he left. I slowly walk down to the kitchen and get a bowl of cereal. I look down at the old sweatshirt that is too short for my body, and the words are falling off my stomach. I remember the day we bought it, at the fair in Long Island, dad won it for me after I begged him to get it. He probably spent over twenty dollars, more than they spent to pay for it at the fairs booths. I only kept it because it was the only thing I had left from my dad. My mom had already left for work, I decided to go onto my porch. I slowly walk to the porch door,balancing my bowl of cereal. I unlock it, then turn the knob.
maxwellz's picture

Dream

maxwellz's picture

My first swim meet

I think my mom is more nervous than I am. It's my first swim meet, it's in a huge pool, with lots of people in the stands. For a five-year-old it was scary to stand around with a bunch of older swimmers hovering around you. It was my first ever swim meet, and I was swimming 25 yard freestyle, which is one lap in a 25 yard pool. I hear the whistle blow, my coach nudges me towards the block. I step onto the cold, wet, sandpaper block. I bent down in a straight line like I had practiced for awhile. When I hear the pulsing sound of the starter. I was supposed to jump, but I wait for a few seconds before I jump just to make sure I'm not jumping at the wrong time. I make a huge half bellyflop into the water. At the age of five it's not unusual to jump like I did. A blast of freezing cold water hit my body and I start to swim. I remember touching the other end, I was finished in touched first!