Hone your storytelling voice!

YWP's Rajnii Eddins and Geoffrey Gevalt will soon launch a unqiue, live/interactive course on storytelling and performance. Open to all high school students; held in Burlington Mondays and Wednesdays from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. beginning March 12 through April 18. FREE. Digital component. AND, performance/presentation event as culmination of your work on May 10 at City Hall, Burlington.

ALL WELCOME. FREE. 

More info, sign up: Contact Geoffrey Gevalt, [email protected], 802-324-9537.

New Workshops!

YWP Community,

We are kicking off the New Year with some new workshops in YWP Academy. Workshops are intended to help you dive deeper, gain some skills and, gulp, have some fun. They are free. Each will be active for at least 6 weeks. You can start anytime; go at your own pace and as your time permits. The more participants we have the merrier so bring in some friends. JOIN up today
(you must log in) to do more with: 

Playwriting -- best plays get performed at Vermont Young Playwrights Festival; 
Storytelling -- make something out of nothing
Hip-Hop -- turn your name into song; 
Photo Story -- tell a story with five photos;  
Sound -- gain chops on narrating your best stuff; 
Commenting -- there is an art to it and, oh, how you can help others!

Sign up today! 

If you want to do any of these (or have us design one for you) for school credit (high school usually) contact me (gg) and contact your school to see what we need to do to help you gain credit. Imagine YWP becoming your homework!

The workshops are led by YWP staff or outside experts who will provide you with feedback, guidance and, at some point, a video conference for the group and individual consultation. There will be a mentor assigned to each workshop as well. And a live chat. 

Feel like you don't have time? You do. Honest. None takes that long (except playwriting); and stretch it out over time.

Ten Days of Winter, 1892

Editor's note: In the 11+ years of this site, I have shared only a couple of things on the belief that this is your site, not mine. But I am sharking this because, well, becaue I thought you might like to read/listen to it and, also, to see that some stories take a long time to develop. I'd love some feedback -- this is your chance! :) 

I wrote this piece of fiction for Winter Tales 2017 and it was presented by Vermont Stage in its shows Dec. 6-10, 2017 at FlynnSpace. (It also was going to be presented at a similar winter story show in East Montpelier on Dec. 16.)

Audio download:
TenDaysofWinter1892.mp3

College Essay Workshop -- Online Version

The House

NOTE: This is part of the Sprout1 Challenge. This piece was written by an anonymous writer during Vermont Writes Day, and we loved how it started us thinking. How about you? If you would like to extend this story, please click the SPROUT button below and continue it. If you find lots of sprouts, and we hope you will over time, and you like where someone else has taken this, sprout that post. Have fun. And we thank whoever posted this on vermontwritesday.org on Friday, Feb. 10, 2017. (We have made a few edits, by the way.)

The Pendant

The old iron bell jangles as I step into the familiar shop. I wave to the owner, a kindly old gentleman, who smiles at me as he always does and says hello. He seems to appreciate my visits, even though I don't often buy anything. 

I make my way through a maze of old bookshelves and chairs, paintings, vases and other miscellaneous objects. I know almost all of it by memory and can tell whenever the store has sold something. 

YWP Academy: Diving deep!

YWP Academy is a new, exciting feature on this site that will help you with your school work, allow you to "mess around" with genres and digital media that interest you and engage you to deeply explore important issues with youths around the country and world.

YWP has begun to pilot the workshops in the Academy with a small group of you. THANKS! The input -- and your experiences with these cool workshops -- has been invaluable. The Workshops being offered are fun, bite-sized exercises with feedback, live interaction with the instructor and a finished piece you can be proud of.
We are continuing to accept applications for this FREE pilot phase!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP.

The pilot is simple: Anyone aged 12-19 is asked to take at least two Workshops and provide us feedback. The application process is easy - just tell us who you are, why you're interested and what you want to learn.
This begins November 7 and runs through December 31.

In exchange, we'll give you FREE year-long access to YWP Academy in 2017 (memberships are valued at $120 each). Questions? Send them to [email protected].

Now this makes you proud to be a writer, no?

Vermont Writes Day 2019!

Vermont Writes Day: Friday, February 1!
Seven challenges! Seven minutes!

This is Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing, a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our friends around the country) take just seven minutes (or more) to write to any of seven fun prompts (or pick "general" if you want to write about your own idea.)

You can participate on your own, or in class with fellow students and teachers; you can use pencil and paper (and send us the best), chisels and stone tablets; you can post here and respond to the challenges (links below or see CHALLENGES in top menu bar) or you can post on https://vermontwritesday.org which will be open on that day only (and will be monitored) and you can post without having to log in or create an account!

Vantage Point

Have you ever noticed, in life, no matter where you are, if you are paying attention, you will come around a corner, look up from a book, exit a building, walk out of the woods and you'll see something breathtaking be it small or large, or close up or far away. Camels Hump, Vermont, late afternoon, Oct. 26, while stopping by the farm to get a gallon of raw milk ... 

#smallstories

FYI, here's the version of the photo BEFORE we did a fix.