I am from...

I am from a country doctor and a dynamic mom who was eternally curious.
I am from conquering polio.
I am from a boarding school that warped my brain and made me realize that there was a group of people running the world that had so much money they didn't care and didn't see.
I am from going to college in the deep south where I played track with the first black athlete to ever be on the UNC varsity and a time when we went to meets in a bus, but the coaches got the food to take out, because they knew the black athlete would not be served if we went inside.
I am from 32 years in journalism where we gave a damn, worked our butts off and tried to right wrongs and expose corruption. 
And in those years I became what I was as a journalist because I worked with people who listened and helped.

Frank Glazer -- An Elder Story -- audio/photo

We Survived -- Youth Radio Piece + NPR interview Friday

UPDATE: Gabe and his Mom were interviewed Friday on All Things Considered on National Public Radio (the audio player button on the right) and we thought you might like to hear the interview. It's fascinating.

The Parkland Victims

Recent School Gun Incidents

In an effort to provide you with factual information about the recent school shooting events, YWP is compiling links to professional news accounts. Here is a listing. If you know of other important stories to include here, please add links to the comment section. Thanks. GG

Vermont

St. Albans high school evacuated after shooting threat
vtdigger.org, Feb. 21, 2018
For the second day in a row a Franklin County high school closed early and sent students home in response to a threat of a school shooting.

Students were released just after noon on Wednesday from Bellows Free Academy in St. Albans, after the school received a note threatening a shooting at the school later in the afternoon, according to the St. Albans Police Department. ...

Recent 6-word stories

CatLover: Should I change my user name?Mon, 02/12/2018 - 11:51am
k.daigle: Just like that, she was gone.Tue, 02/06/2018 - 6:38pm
Temperamental T...: "Where did those bruises come from?"Mon, 02/05/2018 - 12:59pm
Temperamental T...: I'm the antagonist of my lifeMon, 02/05/2018 - 12:57pm
serenamae2020: You took my soul with you.Fri, 02/02/2018 - 8:06am
deleonaz: They are going through the unimaginableSun, 01/14/2018 - 10:52pm
deleonaz: Everything hurts so much, fuck CRPSSun, 01/14/2018 - 10:52pm
lyssahorsegirl: You definetly love me? Not true.Wed, 01/10/2018 - 12:06pm
Emalie Rosamae: " Rise up" Lin Manuel Miranda- HamiltonTue, 01/09/2018 - 9:47am
Nightheart: see through reality contorted, a bubbleMon, 01/01/2018 - 2:41pm
dmercier: natural inclinations eat breakfast every wednesdayWed, 12/27/2017 - 7:47am
Anna P.: Why am I never really seen?Sat, 12/23/2017 - 5:08pm
WAMH: what if we could see realityThu, 12/21/2017 - 10:40am

Call for Writers! Deadline Feb. 23

This just in from YWP's pals, Jim Ellefson (poet extraordinaire) and Lesley Wright -- organizers of the Champlain College Young Writers' Conference:

Dear High-Stepping Daughters and Sons of the Word Road,

You are once again cordially invited to attend a weekend of writing workshops, craft sessions, and open mic at the CHAMPLAIN COLLEGE YOUNG WRITERS' CONFERENCE, MAY 25-27. Now in our eighteenth year, our doors are open to high school students who wish to share their passion for story, drama, and song with their writerly brothers and sisters—and with celebrated New England authors. We offer three days of readings, improv, Moth storytelling, poetry slams, literary jazz/blues fusion, and extended friendship on the hillside campus of Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont.

Photo Tips

apologies

Well, sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I want to apologize to all of you for two things:
  1. In almost 12 years of running YWP I've never had the site down as long as I've had it down today (AND yesterday, either, for that matter). I've got some help in attempting a thorny fix and, well, it's not quite there yet. So sorry.
  2. In the process, you may have gotten (and you may still be getting) a bunch of old, weird email notifications that direct you to our development site. DELETE those. But, please don't mark them as spam. We want you to still get notifications in the future once things are working right.

The good news is that everything is exactly the same as it was before we put the site in maintenance mode. Your content is safe and sound. The site was, merely, in a time warp. So have at it. And we hope all of you who had a snow day today will share some of your experiences!

Enjoy the weekend and don't forget to sign up for the YWP Academy workshops! They'll get underway next week, but you can take them at your own pace. AND INVITE FRIENDS. The more the merrier!

And thanks to all of you who joined me at last night's video conference. GREAT ideas for workshops in the near future!

gg

The strange morning walk

Oh, I get so stressed at New Year's. What to do, where to go, who do I go with, what party should I attend? And that's the least of it. 

Everyone seems to ask me what my resolutions are going to be. 

Resolutions? What are my resolutions going to be? Oh, God, leave me alone. I don't want to make any resolutions. They're so exhausting. So inward. They make me take stock of myself and see all my frailties and DANG! I don't like that. I AM NOT PERFECT, OK?! It's all so heavy. ...

... and speaking of heavy, I know what I'll resolve to do: LOSE WEIGHT! Yes this will be the year. 2018, the year I stick with it. Eat less between meals. No snacks. Cut out sugar. Sign up for the gym. Walk more. Take up running. Maybe I'll roll out the bicycle for regular rides -- in the spring, of course -- but, gosh, by then it may be too late, I may have already failed ...