SoundCheck on Friday, March 16 -- You Spoke Out

Photos by aesythe, YWP Publications Coordinator.

Thanks to all who presented and all those who came out to cheer on the folks who presented Friday night at Burlington City Arts. Great crowd. Powerful presentations. 

(
pI (gg) was so entranced by the presentations of Alex and Firegirl, he totally did not notice that the camera had lost power, thus zapping the stream and recording. He's mortified really.)

Mark your Calendars:

April 12, 2018 -- 6 p.m. workshop and pizza, 7 p.m. Open Mic at Burlington City Arts.

First Lines

Editor's note: This is a resource for a First Lines XP that is part of the Story Starter Workshop in YWP Academy. Join in if you'd like.

If you take a look at really good short stories or novels, you will see that they invariably have a great opening line. The first line in any story has a number of effects -- sets tone, jumps you into the action, establishes the setting or the conflict -- but all of them lure you in as a reader. Here are some good ones.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. --  George Orwell, 1984

This is the saddest story I have ever heard. — Ford Madox Ford, The Good Soldier, 1915

It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not. —  Paul Auster, City of Glass, 1985

Other Walkouts around the U.S.

National School Walkout -- NYTIMES

Students gathered at Borough Hall in Brooklyn on Wednesday as part of a nationwide protest against gun violence. Credit: Annie Tritt for The New York Times

Here are portions of the NYTIMES story on the national walkout by high school students. The story was written By ALAN BLINDER and JULIE TURKEWITZ. Reporting was contributed by Julie Bosman, Sydney Ember, Anemona Hartocollis, Sean Keenan, Nick Madigan, Rick Rojas, Stephanie Saul, Nate Schweber and Kate Taylor.

In New York and elsewhere, students walked far and wide.

The first protests showed that the day’s demonstrations would unfold in different ways from city to city. In some cities, demonstrators chanted and held signs. At other schools, students stood in silence. In Atlanta, some students took a knee.

I am from...

I am from a country doctor and a dynamic mom who was eternally curious.
I am from conquering polio.
I am from a boarding school that warped my brain and made me realize that there was a group of people running the world that had so much money they didn't care and didn't see.
I am from going to college in the deep south where I played track with the first black athlete to ever be on the UNC varsity and a time when we went to meets in a bus, but the coaches got the food to take out, because they knew the black athlete would not be served if we went inside.
I am from 32 years in journalism where we gave a damn, worked our butts off and tried to right wrongs and expose corruption. 
And in those years I became what I was as a journalist because I worked with people who listened and helped.

Frank Glazer -- An Elder Story -- audio/photo

We Survived -- Youth Radio Piece + NPR interview Friday

UPDATE: Gabe and his Mom were interviewed Friday on All Things Considered on National Public Radio (the audio player button on the right) and we thought you might like to hear the interview. It's fascinating.

The Parkland Victims

Recent School Gun Incidents

In an effort to provide you with factual information about the recent school shooting events, YWP is compiling links to professional news accounts. Here is a listing. If you know of other important stories to include here, please add links to the comment section. Thanks. GG

Vermont

St. Albans high school evacuated after shooting threat
vtdigger.org, Feb. 21, 2018
For the second day in a row a Franklin County high school closed early and sent students home in response to a threat of a school shooting.

Students were released just after noon on Wednesday from Bellows Free Academy in St. Albans, after the school received a note threatening a shooting at the school later in the afternoon, according to the St. Albans Police Department. ...