Recent 6-word stories

CatLover: Should I change my user name?Mon, 02/12/2018 - 11:51am
k.daigle: Just like that, she was gone.Tue, 02/06/2018 - 6:38pm
Temperamental T...: "Where did those bruises come from?"Mon, 02/05/2018 - 12:59pm
Temperamental T...: I'm the antagonist of my lifeMon, 02/05/2018 - 12:57pm
serenamae2020: You took my soul with you.Fri, 02/02/2018 - 8:06am
deleonaz: They are going through the unimaginableSun, 01/14/2018 - 10:52pm
deleonaz: Everything hurts so much, fuck CRPSSun, 01/14/2018 - 10:52pm
lyssahorsegirl: You definetly love me? Not true.Wed, 01/10/2018 - 12:06pm
Emalie Rosamae: " Rise up" Lin Manuel Miranda- HamiltonTue, 01/09/2018 - 9:47am
Nightheart: see through reality contorted, a bubbleMon, 01/01/2018 - 2:41pm
dmercier: natural inclinations eat breakfast every wednesdayWed, 12/27/2017 - 7:47am
Anna P.: Why am I never really seen?Sat, 12/23/2017 - 5:08pm
WAMH: what if we could see realityThu, 12/21/2017 - 10:40am

Call for Writers! Deadline Feb. 23

This just in from YWP's pals, Jim Ellefson (poet extraordinaire) and Lesley Wright -- organizers of the Champlain College Young Writers' Conference:

Dear High-Stepping Daughters and Sons of the Word Road,

You are once again cordially invited to attend a weekend of writing workshops, craft sessions, and open mic at the CHAMPLAIN COLLEGE YOUNG WRITERS' CONFERENCE, MAY 25-27. Now in our eighteenth year, our doors are open to high school students who wish to share their passion for story, drama, and song with their writerly brothers and sisters—and with celebrated New England authors. We offer three days of readings, improv, Moth storytelling, poetry slams, literary jazz/blues fusion, and extended friendship on the hillside campus of Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont.

Photo Tips

apologies

Well, sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I want to apologize to all of you for two things:
  1. In almost 12 years of running YWP I've never had the site down as long as I've had it down today (AND yesterday, either, for that matter). I've got some help in attempting a thorny fix and, well, it's not quite there yet. So sorry.
  2. In the process, you may have gotten (and you may still be getting) a bunch of old, weird email notifications that direct you to our development site. DELETE those. But, please don't mark them as spam. We want you to still get notifications in the future once things are working right.

The good news is that everything is exactly the same as it was before we put the site in maintenance mode. Your content is safe and sound. The site was, merely, in a time warp. So have at it. And we hope all of you who had a snow day today will share some of your experiences!

Enjoy the weekend and don't forget to sign up for the YWP Academy workshops! They'll get underway next week, but you can take them at your own pace. AND INVITE FRIENDS. The more the merrier!

And thanks to all of you who joined me at last night's video conference. GREAT ideas for workshops in the near future!

gg

The strange morning walk

Oh, I get so stressed at New Year's. What to do, where to go, who do I go with, what party should I attend? And that's the least of it. 

Everyone seems to ask me what my resolutions are going to be. 

Resolutions? What are my resolutions going to be? Oh, God, leave me alone. I don't want to make any resolutions. They're so exhausting. So inward. They make me take stock of myself and see all my frailties and DANG! I don't like that. I AM NOT PERFECT, OK?! It's all so heavy. ...

... and speaking of heavy, I know what I'll resolve to do: LOSE WEIGHT! Yes this will be the year. 2018, the year I stick with it. Eat less between meals. No snacks. Cut out sugar. Sign up for the gym. Walk more. Take up running. Maybe I'll roll out the bicycle for regular rides -- in the spring, of course -- but, gosh, by then it may be too late, I may have already failed ...

This just in ...

Atlanta, GA (FN) The more the merrier.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) announced Tuesday that it had gotten so much good feedback on their recent banned word list that they decided to expand it to include 143 additional words it found objectionable. 

"This should make communication much easier," said Irving Schnidlink, temporary Czar of Words for the CDC and a prominent Republican fundraiser. "We get so mixed up when we use too many words and you know how those liberal elites are -- always trying to show off their vocabulary."

Schnidlink said the word list -- and he said there could be additional announcements in the near future -- was put into effect immediately and employees, subcontractors and everyone who has ever been in Atlanta, even passing through, is now prohibited from using the following words:

Discouraged

Is there a better way, a better direction?

Must we drill in the pristine Arctic wilderness?

Must we reward the wealthy and hurt those scratching out an existence?

Must we have congressmen and a president who are led by the desires of their donors?

Is it right that our President, himself accused of harassing women, would endorse an accused child molester in his race for the U.S. Senate?

Is it right for other national leaders to say that a child molester is favorable over a Democrat?

Can we acknowledge that the planet IS warming and we should do something about it?

Can we honor our history by realizing that yes, indeed, we have a terrible disparity in this country depending on the color of your skin?

Can we encourage art? and music? and writing?

Can we create an environment where it is OK to disagree?

Can we truly love and reach out to our neighbors?

Fall Conference Photos