My knife story

Your story made me think of one of my own ...

When I was a kid, I was what they call ambidextrous -- I could use either hand (or foot) equally. My grandfather had given me a small pen knife and had taught me how to keep it sharp. I went one step further: I made the knife so sharp that it could easily cut paper. Cool. 

A snippet of Saturday

Thanks to all who came to YWP's Celebration of Writing 2017 at Vermont College of Fine Arts. (And thanks, too, for their partnership!) Inspiring workshops, inspiring writing and a lot of fun. 

These are just a couple of photos -- more will be along shortly -- and one of the open mic pieces, this one by Rachel. Listen. It's an amazing poem and amazing presentation.

Audio download:
rachel-openmic.mp3

Winter Tales is Awesome!

Thanks to all of you brave souls who submitted work for this year's Winter Tales -- a collaboration with Vermont Stage Company where selected work is presented by actors and actresses in a night of storytelling from Dec. 6-10.

It was a difficult choice made by YWP and VSC, but congratulations to the following YWP writers whose pieces were selected to be presented by Vermont Stage Company actors as part of its annual Winter Tales shows from Dec. 6-10. Here are the selections -- made by YWP and VT Stage -- and the shows they will be presented:

Wednesday, December 6th at 7:30pm

Writing Prompt ... 2

The man wasn't sure why he reached down for the note, soggy as it was on his gorgeous leather gloves. He was fastidious about those gloves, which is why they lasted all these years. He carefully unwrapped the note and saw the time and place of the rendezvous.

He knew immediately that he would go. He signalled the driver with his other hand and soon the Rolls Royce pulled up next to him, the driver exited came around back and opened the door for the man who handed the note to the driver and took his hand towel and dried his glove. 

"7 p.m.," Henry. "Make sure we get there several minutes early."

Editor's note: Continue this by SPROUTING the original story and give it a title that is numerically next.

Like the new look?

We hope you like today's look. We confess. We are nuts about Halloween. Even though we live at the end of a dead-end dirt road, where there are no street lights and no easy way to turn around and the trees rustle with the noises of beasts hovering around the clearing and, occasionally, we let the wolves out for a little fun ...

Come visit us sometime. We have some treats .... Just click READ MORE!   heh heh heh ...

SoundCheck -- Nasteha

On Thursday Oct 12, 27 young people came to our workshop and open mic, part of the Voices for Change Project.

We will be highlighting some of the most moving presentations over the next few weeks. And mark your calendars: These events take place every SECOND THURSDAY in collaboration with Burlington City Arts at their building on Church Street next to City Hall. Workshop with YWP Artisitc Director Rajnii Eddins: 6 p.m. Pizza: 6:45 p.,m. Open mic: 7 p.m. We will be streaming. (and improving the sound recording. sorry.)'

Nasteha is a senior at Burlington High School. This piece was written from a prompt during the workshop. As she told the audience, she wasn't feeling that good.

#voices4change

Barber from Hell

My wife and I are in San Francisco. On vacation. We are having a great time. It is warm and sunny and my hair is a mess. I need a haircut. I needed a haircut a month ago. I needed a haircut two months ago. And there it us before us, a barber pole and a quaint looking barber shop with nice looking shops on either side. What the heck. We walk in.

The barber is in a chair reading a magazine. He rises and welcomes me to sit down. He speaks and his accent is hard to place. German? Eastern European?

I sit down and he tucks the cover around my neck. I see my wife, in the mirror, sit down and pick up a magazine. She holds it up. "Guns & Ammo." She frowns. I remove my glasses.

The electric shears should have been the give away. He pulls out these gigantic haircutting shears and starts to work on the back of my head. Why is he starting there?

Dear Soul, 2067

The Personal Essay

What is a personal essay? YWP defines it as a piece that focuses on an insight, realization or belief about life that is significant to the writer. We believe that all good personal essays should include narrative, that is a story about a significant event -- this is what draws the reader in -- and can include what is called memoir, that is discussion of a significant relationship between the writer and an object, person or place.