I write

I write.

Because I have something to say.

A story.

A detail.

A worry.

A question.

Something I've noticed.

Something I've felt.

Something that worries me.

An idea, a character, a problem.

And when I don't write.

I grow confused.

I grow anxious.

I stop noticing.

I stop imagining.

I stop.

NE Young Writers Conference Applications due Oct. 10

Interested in an intensive writing conference? Check out the New England Young Writers Conference. Some of the YWP community members have attended in the past and perhaps can comment here. 

Deadline for Application is Oct. 10, 2017.   The conference takes place at Breadloaf at Middlebury College May 17-20, 2018.

Here's the link: http://sites.middlebury.edu/neywc/how-to-apply/admissions-information/ 

Here's the info on that link:
The 2018 Conference fee is $375.00 per student which covers the cost of the conference as well as meals and housing for students during the conference.

2018 Community Leaders

Young Writers Project is proud to share with you the Community Leaders of this site, youngwritersproject.org.

These artists have been selected because of the energy and effort they put into this community, the quality of their work, the quality and quantity of their commenting and their expertise. We also look at the number of Community Points these users have. Most are long-time members. While we don't identify them by their real names, many of you may, by this time, know who they are and where they come from, but even if you don't know that, you know their work. They hail from around the U.S. and beyond.

You will find these leaders are active commenters, they select work for publication or for the front page, create challenges and some even actively work on special projects, online workshops and on site improvements. We are very lucky to have them. And do check out their work and give them some shine, too!

Grammar Resources

People are more likely to hold onto grammar rules if they learned them in a fun, easy to comprehend way. Here are some fun and creative grammar resources.

Websites

The Yuniversity 
This website is a treasure trove. It has grammar rules covering punctuation, syntax, spelling, and more. They even have essay writing resources. Plus, they post SAT words everyday with easy to comprehend definitions and examples. The Yuniversity is extremely EASY to learn from and navigate — plus, each of their posts have weird and wacky animations, pictures, or even (gasp) memes to help people understand these writing rules in a fun way. 

Khan Academy

Editing Process

Editing and revising a piece can be one of the hardest parts of writing. Yet, it is one of the most important stages of writing. Here is a suggested process to help you organize yourself when editing. 

1. Read your piece to yourself to find big problems. 
       When editing, let yourself be the first set of eyes. ONLY look at big picture items. Things such as topic/theme consistency, relevancy, clarity, voice, tone, imagery, order, message, and length are often looked at in this stage. If you are writing a narrative, or if you have a person in your story, you'll often consider the person's voice or character consistency throughout. 
       This is the point where you will often cut sentences or paragraphs, change the order, rewrite entire sections of your piece, or change your wording to make your piece more clear. BIG things are happening.

2. Give your piece to a friend for feedback. 

Basic Grammar: Punctuation

Most people avoid learning about grammar like it's a 2:00pm test on a Friday. Yet, grammar is not only important for making your work polished and professional, but it's important in terms of comprehension as well. Here are five basic punctuation rules you should know. 
  1. The apostrophe. The common mistake people make with the apostrophe is that they use it to show that something is plural. The apostrophe should actual be used to show possession in a singular or plural situation. 
THE RULE: If the possession is singular, the apostrophe should be placed before the ‘s’ at the end of a word.

Commenting -- Overview

Commenting -- or exchanging feedback -- is an important part of the Young Writers Project community. This is where you can learn the strengths and flaws of your work or where you can get, simply, some affirmation. The exchange of feedback builds community and, frankly, it's a motivation for you. We all like to get a little feedback; it helps us keep going. HINT: You are more likely to get a comment if you give a comment to someone else on their post.

On this site, you have four circles of commenting and response:

Basic Recording Tips

When recording someone, or yourself, there are a few tips that will make your experience go that much smoother. (NOTE: Check the ACADEMY to see if there are any audio workshops underway. You can jump in anytime.)

Renting. If you have a smartphone, you can easily record with that. And there are plenty of free apps for that. But if you want to have a slightly higher quality recording, many people opt to use an actual audio recorder. You can often borrow or rent audio equipment at your local library, at your school, or through community programs such as public access TV or, even, music shops. There are also some good, inexpensive digital recorders to purchase; if you are doing a lot of sound work, it's probably worth the investment if you can.

Presenting

Presenting can be scary. Whether you are giving a speech, doing stand-up, or reading a creative writing piece you wrote, it can be nerve-wracking. Almost everyone gets stage fright, even actors. But, knowing some helpful tips can get you through your presentation, and help you deliver it with a greater sense of confidence. 

Grammar Strategies