Commenting -- Overview

Commenting -- or exchanging feedback -- is an important part of the Young Writers Project community. This is where you can learn the strengths and flaws of your work or where you can get, simply, some affirmation. The exchange of feedback builds community and, frankly, it's a motivation for you. We all like to get a little feedback; it helps us keep going. HINT: You are more likely to get a comment if you give a comment to someone else on their post.

On this site, you have four circles of commenting and response:

Basic Recording Tips

When recording someone, or yourself, there are a few tips that will make your experience go that much smoother. (NOTE: Check the ACADEMY to see if there are any audio workshops underway. You can jump in anytime.)

Renting. If you have a smartphone, you can easily record with that. And there are plenty of free apps for that. But if you want to have a slightly higher quality recording, many people opt to use an actual audio recorder. You can often borrow or rent audio equipment at your local library, at your school, or through community programs such as public access TV or, even, music shops. There are also some good, inexpensive digital recorders to purchase; if you are doing a lot of sound work, it's probably worth the investment if you can.

Presenting

Presenting can be scary. Whether you are giving a speech, doing stand-up, or reading a creative writing piece you wrote, it can be nerve-wracking. Almost everyone gets stage fright, even actors. But, knowing some helpful tips can get you through your presentation, and help you deliver it with a greater sense of confidence. 

Grammar Strategies

Photojournalism

Photography you use in newsmedia articles — plays by different rules than photography you do for artistic purposes. You have to be respectful, you need to respect the basic integrity of the photos (no dramatic altering of your photos via a photo editing software) and you need to be careful not to show a bias. 

Desegrated But Not Integrated: 60 Years After Little Rock Nine

Sixty years ago, nine black teenagers enrolled in the all-white Little Rock (AK) Central High School, after the Supreme Court decided to strike down racial segregation laws. They went down in history as the Little Rock Nine. Youth Radio’s Zia Tollette is a junior at Central High. She looks back at the Little Rock Nine’s sacrifices, which made her own attendance at Central High possible.  

When I was younger, the Little Rock Nine were recurring characters in my life. Growing up, there was even a painting of them in my house that hung over one of the windows. When I was little I would look up at it as my parents would tell me stories about the Nine and their sacrifices.

“It truly devastated our family unit,” said Phyllis Brown. She’s the sister of Minnijean Brown, one of the Little Rock Nine.  
Audio download:
little-rock-nine-today.mp3

I remember

I remember this.

Today I turn 66, so I would have been 8 and then 9 when this unfolded. We did not have a television. But a friend did. And after school my Mom took me over to their house to watch the news. She wanted me to see. She did that at other times. We went to the same friend after school and stayed through the evening to watch the news of John F. Kennedy's assasination.

What I remember most about this event, and what was recalled by looking at this video, were three things:
  • The angry yelling.
  • The single high school student sitting on the bench, enduring in silence.
  • Confusion. I didn't understand, truly, why the students couldn't go to the high school they wanted to go to.
My mother explained. 

I still didn't understand.

Walt Whitman Live Reading.

On Teachers

As some of you know, I spent 33 years in journalism. During that time I worked in a newsroom with no union representation and I worked in a newsroom (as a manager) that had representation from seven different unions. I was a shop steward once and was targetted by managment, and I was, for a short time, on negotiating committee representing management. I also covered unions and had staff that covered unions -- and strikes. Lots of strikes. Invariably we would only get access to the striking side, the workers, but one time, in Akron, Ohio, I had a team go in and cover the people who had to keep Roadway (the trucking company) operating while all the Teamsters drivers were on strike around the country.

So I have some understanding of unions. And also have understanding of how difficult it is to find out the truth -- what are the real issues that are not presented solely through the perspective of one side.

Nervous about Sound?