The Voice - June 2018

The Voice - April/May 2018

Vermont Writes Day is TODAY!

Seven minutes! Seven prompts! Give it a try!
Is your school participating? Get your teachers to give your class time to write for fun.

This is Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing -- a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our friends in New Hampshire and around the country) take just seven minutes to write to seven fun prompts. You can participate on your own, or in class with fellow students and teachers; you can use pencil and paper, or write on one of our websites -- here (if you have an account; if you don't, be patient it may take a while for us to approve your account) or vermontwritesday.org which (no account needed) will open Thursday morning.

THE PROMPTS​

Prez: Write a letter to the president. Tell him one thing you want him to do -- and why.

I am: Start or end a piece of writing with the phrase, "I am the one who ... ", to describe who you are, what you love, what you dream of, etc. 

Social media: Imagine if all social media -- Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc. -- shut down. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing? How would it affect your life?

Kindness: What's the nicest thing a stranger has done for you? 

Write awful: Use cliches, mixed metaphors, tense changes, whatever you're not supposed to do when you write an essay.

Invisible: Write about a time when you felt completely invisible, literally or figuratively.

Turn around: You answer your phone and a voice whispers, "Turn around..." What happens?

And -- as always -- General writing is welcome. Write about anything you like!

(Hashtag it #vtwrites18 to let us know it was written for Vermont Writes Day!)

PDF version for download (Bottom of this page)

The Voice - January 2018

Nov/Dec 2017 Issue

Summer of Stories 2018 is just one week away!

Each year, YWP engages in some storytelling, poetry and frivolity over the summer to keep your writing chops going. We have lots of prizes, fame, support and companionship! TELL FRIENDS.

We'll have two things for you this summer, SOS18:
  • SUMMER OF STORIES DAILY CHALLENGES. Whoa. These have been thought up by some of your compadres. Some are thorny. Some are wacky. Make all of them fun!
  • AND, drumroll please  A special, in-depth short-story Workshop that'll last as long or as short as you want.
This Summer of Stories Extravaganza kicks off June 25! Don't miss it. Write til you drop! Chocolate to best commenters, most prolific writers, zaniest pieces, and other categories we'll think up as we go along. (Suggestions, recommendations ALWAYS welcome.) Other prizes, too.

Does the SHORT STORY WORKSHOP led by YWP Mentor Eliza Mager appeal? (A six-part online course in short story writing that will lead a piece of writing that will amaze your friends, impress your elders and most certainly set you on the road to stardom!) Well get this: Spaces for Eliza's course are limited! Don't Dawdle. (And don't worry; no grades -- though you could possibly do enough to get credit in high school -- and while challenging, fun, too!) More info and signup here!

And remember, whether you choose the workshop, respond to challenges or follow your own muse, use a hashtag on everything you create: #SOS18

Your pals,

SR, SR (SO confusing, first one is  YWP Director SUSAN REID; second one is Intern Extraordinaire SHANNON RIPP) and AF (Anna Forsythe our Jill of All Trades.)

[Photo credit: Kevin Huang]

YWP Newsletter

xx

Power of Commenting