The Voice - June 2018

The Voice - April/May 2018

Vermont Writes Day is TODAY!

Seven minutes! Seven prompts! Give it a try!
Is your school participating? Get your teachers to give your class time to write for fun.

This is Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing -- a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our friends in New Hampshire and around the country) take just seven minutes to write to seven fun prompts. You can participate on your own, or in class with fellow students and teachers; you can use pencil and paper, or write on one of our websites -- here (if you have an account; if you don't, be patient it may take a while for us to approve your account) or vermontwritesday.org which (no account needed) will open Thursday morning.

THE PROMPTS​

Prez: Write a letter to the president. Tell him one thing you want him to do -- and why.

I am: Start or end a piece of writing with the phrase, "I am the one who ... ", to describe who you are, what you love, what you dream of, etc. 

Social media: Imagine if all social media -- Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc. -- shut down. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing? How would it affect your life?

Kindness: What's the nicest thing a stranger has done for you? 

Write awful: Use cliches, mixed metaphors, tense changes, whatever you're not supposed to do when you write an essay.

Invisible: Write about a time when you felt completely invisible, literally or figuratively.

Turn around: You answer your phone and a voice whispers, "Turn around..." What happens?

And -- as always -- General writing is welcome. Write about anything you like!

(Hashtag it #vtwrites18 to let us know it was written for Vermont Writes Day!)

PDF version for download (Bottom of this page)

The Voice - January 2018

Nov/Dec 2017 Issue

MGMC at Maglianero's Tonight!

MUSLIM GIRLS MAKING CHANGE

LAST SHOW BEFORE THE AWARD-WINNING SLAM POETRY TEAM GOES OFF TO COLLEGE

AUG.13 6:30-8:30 PM
 MAGLIANERO'S (47 MAPLE STREET – BURLINGTON)

FUNDRAISER FOR PEACE & JUSTICE CENTER

Join Hawa Adam, Lena Ginawi, Kiran Waqar and Balkisa Omar for their final performance as MGMC before they leave for college. Suggested donation: $5 to support the Peace & Justice Center

Summer of Stories: Thank you!

Thanks to all participants in YWP's annual Summer of Stories writing challenges! And some of you are continuing on with the Short Story online workshop with YWP mentor Eliza -- keep going! If you have stories to tell, we want to read them! YWP goody bags are being prepared right now by the YWP elves to thank our most active SoSers! (Winners: We'll give you a heads up to watch for YWP chocolate bars and other good stuff arriving at your door soon!)

Weekly Writing Challenges 2018-19

These weekly challenges are created by YWP's young writers, summer interns and staff to inspire you to write! We hope you have fun with them! Two new challenges are scheduled each week with a Friday deadline and are sent to schools as part of our regular publication process in a dozen VT newspapers, on VPR.net VtDigger.org. However, ANYONE from ANYWHERE can respond to these challenges and will be considered for publication, particularly in our digital magazines, The Voice, and The Crow on medium.com, as well as in our anthology of best work where there are no geographic restrictions. YWP also has a bank of daily writing challenges here and on the home page of this website.

YWP goes hiking

YWP is everywhere! A Young Writers Project board member was hiking on the John Muir Trail in California's Sierra Nevada mountains this summer when he spotted this YWP decal stuck on a bear barrel along the trail. Oh, and "before you ask," he said, "I have no idea what that fairy-like item is on the left side of the frame."
Jul 30

This week's Newsletter