Refugee Stories

USCRI/Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program are sponsoring a writing competition about the refugee experience in Vermont.

Vermont writers, ages 14-22, are invited to write a short story or poem in response to one of these prompts:
  1. What does it mean to be a refugee?
  2. What is your experience in VT?
Due: March 19, 2018
Email submissions to: [email protected]

Winning submissions will be performed at "The Journey and the Destination," at the Burlington International Airport on April 13, 2018.

x

March for our Future

Vermont youth are invited to Montpelier TODAY -- Jan. 20 -- to march for human rights, dignity, and equality for all. This is one of several marches for youth around the country, one year after President Trump's inauguration.

When? SATURDAY, JAN. 20, 1 p.m.
Where? Montpelier High School 
Who? All young Vermonters (speakers range from 8 to 22!)

Kiran Waqar, one of the organizers says: "There is a speak-out directly after the speaker line-up so if young artists are interested in sharing their related work, this may be a really cool opportunity to do so."

Find out more about the Montpelier march!

(Photo credit: March for our Future)

Sen. Bernie Sanders' Essay Contest

Vermont High School Students:
Senator Bernie Sanders invites you to write a 250-500 word essay focusing on what you believe are the major challenges facing the nation and how to solve them.
Submit your essay at www.sanders.senate.gov/stateoftheunion.  The deadline is Jan. 10, 2018. 

A panel of Vermont teachers will judge the essays. The 20 finalists, including the selected winner, will be invited to a roundtable discussion with Sen. Sanders and have their essays entered into the Congressional Record.
(See attached pdf for more)

College Essay sign-up

ONE REALLY WORTHWHILE DAY FOR HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS

SIGN UP HERE

Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017
10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

YWP Headquarters, 47 Maple Street, Suite 106, Burlington, VT
(AND ONLINE for those who can't make it to Burlington)

Presented by Young Writers Project and VSAC (Vermont Student Assistance Corp.)

Pizza lunch included

Academy: College Essay Tips

Do a search on "college essay tips" and you will be inundated with advice. Here are some highlights:

1. Brainstorm. Think. Give yourself time and space to consider what you want to write.

2. Make a list of all ideas, good and not-so-good. Think again. Consider which ones you should hang on to and which ones you should toss. Toss freely. Only the strong survive this exercise.

3. Don't cram, so there's no reason to panic and lose your confidence. You'll want to write several drafts and ask a trusted mentor, teacher, adviser to read them. Give yourself time between drafts -- this does wonders to tightening up long, ponderous essays. You'll discover all sorts of places to cut or enhance.
Jul 06

The Voice - July/August 2017

Meet YWP's Summer Interns

Welcome YWP Summer Interns: Shannon Ripp, left, and Grace Safford, right, of Champlain College!
Watch for their comments on your writing under their usernames: ShanRippWriting and Grace Safford
AND -- new this summer! -- 14 YWP writers and one YWP alum from NYC will be helping us help you -- as Community Leaders (writing mentors, idea generators, project assistants, you name it!)
ALSO new this summer: WRITING BUDDIES.

The Voice - May/June 2017

The Voice - April 2017

Each month, with community help, YWP assembles the very best writing, images, audio and video for display in The Voice, our monthly digital magazine. In the April issue, meet Writer of the Month Elizabeth Hardt, read all about news & events, discover new writers and artists. Be inspired!