Thank you!

Anthology 9 cover art: Neelie Markley
Big, big thank you to all the writers, photographers and artists who are published in Anthology 9 -- and your families and friends -- who joined us for the launch of this beautiful book Oct. 14! Maglianero's was packed. We counted 130 people squeezed into the cafe to celebrate and share the YWP spirit! If you missed the launch and want a copy of the anthology, please email Susan Reid: [email protected]. Thanks everyone!! See YWP photographer Lia Chien's photos of the event.

Please Donate

Young Writers Project depends on your generosity to keep our work going. We are funded solely by individual donations and grants. Every gift is important to us, and every cent is spent in service of our mission.

National Student Poet for the Northeast!

Alexandra Contreras-Montesano, a longtime Young Writers Project writer and senior at Burlington High School, has been named National Student Poet for the Northeast! This is the nation's highest honor for youth poets presenting original work. Alexandra traveled to Washington, D.C. this week to accept the honor with four other young writers from across the country who represent their areas as National Student Poets. Alexandra, known on YWP as angelaweasley, was chosen from among thousands of award-winning poets for this honor. Throughout the year, Alexandra will serve as a literary ambassador in the Northeast. She will share her passion for poetry and literacy with community groups, including Young Writers Project, where she has offered to lead workshops for her fellow YWPers! We'll follow soon with details and dates!

Tonight!

Regenerative Design for Change Makers (RDCM) is coming to Burlington! Learn all about social permaculture and mindfulness with Abrah Dresdale and Jasmine Fuego on Aug. 22 at ArtsRiot, 400 Pine Street, and at a RDCM training at the Center for Whole Communities, 209 Battery St.,  Aug. 25 and 26. More info and to register: www.regeneratechange.com

MGMC at Maglianero's Tonight!

MUSLIM GIRLS MAKING CHANGE

LAST SHOW BEFORE THE AWARD-WINNING SLAM POETRY TEAM GOES OFF TO COLLEGE

AUG.13 6:30-8:30 PM
 MAGLIANERO'S (47 MAPLE STREET – BURLINGTON)

FUNDRAISER FOR PEACE & JUSTICE CENTER

Join Hawa Adam, Lena Ginawi, Kiran Waqar and Balkisa Omar for their final performance as MGMC before they leave for college. Suggested donation: $5 to support the Peace & Justice Center

Summer of Stories: Thank you!

Thanks to all participants in YWP's annual Summer of Stories writing challenges! And some of you are continuing on with the Short Story online workshop with YWP mentor Eliza -- keep going! If you have stories to tell, we want to read them! YWP goody bags are being prepared right now by the YWP elves to thank our most active SoSers! (Winners: We'll give you a heads up to watch for YWP chocolate bars and other good stuff arriving at your door soon!)

Weekly Writing Challenges 2018-19

These weekly challenges are created by YWP's young writers, summer interns and staff to inspire you to write! We hope you have fun with them! Two new challenges are scheduled each week with a Friday deadline and are sent to schools as part of our regular publication process in a dozen VT newspapers, on VPR.net VtDigger.org. However, ANYONE from ANYWHERE can respond to these challenges and will be considered for publication, particularly in our digital magazines, The Voice, and The Crow on medium.com, as well as in our anthology of best work where there are no geographic restrictions. YWP also has a bank of daily writing challenges here and on the home page of this website.

YWP goes hiking

YWP is everywhere! A Young Writers Project board member was hiking on the John Muir Trail in California's Sierra Nevada mountains this summer when he spotted this YWP decal stuck on a bear barrel along the trail. Oh, and "before you ask," he said, "I have no idea what that fairy-like item is on the left side of the frame."
Jul 30

YWP Newsletter