YWP Wins Grant to Promote Tolerance

French Poetry Competition

Vermont Writes Day 2017

Vermont Writes Day is Friday, February 10!

Join hundreds, thousands -- meeeelions! -- of writers across Vermont who will stop what they're doing for JUST SEVEN MINUTES -- AND WRITE!

This is Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing, a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our neighbors in New Hampshire) take a few minutes to write to seven fun and zany prompts created just for Vermont Writes Day. You can participate on your own, or in class with fellow students and teachers; you can use pencil and paper, or write on one of our websites!

2017 Calvin Writing Prize

Winter Tales!

Congratulations to the winners of the Winter Tales Challenge! Selected works were presented in early December by the Vermont Stage Company actors and by all accounts the shows were outstanding!
Selected were: Eliza Goodell, Sophie Usherwood, Chloe Gagnon, Julia Remillard, Shannon MacDonald, Sophia Nistico, Saia Patel, Landon Smith, Finn Verdonk, Sophie Dauerman, Remy Schulz, Abby Simmons, Anna Phelps, Devon DeMarse!

SELECTED WORKS & WHEN THEY WERE PRESENTED BELOW
CLICK HERE TO READ ALL THE WINTER TALE RESPONSES

Fall Conference Portraits

Snapshots of Fall Conference 2016

Amazing day of writing, photography, audio, poetry, performance and storytelling at YWP's Fall Conference! Thanks to all for your energy, imagination and effort. It is not easy to spend the day working as hard as you did (all while having a little fun!)

We'll do it again March 11, 2017 at the Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier -- hope to see you there!

Many thanks to our presenters: Reuben Jackson, Geof Hewitt, Jeff Baron, Alison Redlich and Rusty DeWees. (And, yes, GG, too!)

PLEASE POST YOUR CREATIONS HERE. GIVE THEM THE HASHTAG #FALLCONF16. THANKS!

All photos by Alison Redlich

See another slideshow on the day here: http://youngwritersproject.org/portraits

Ah, Vermont

Ending Cliches

Send us your most despised cliches and we'll add them to this master list!

Here are a few of H.W. Fowler's cliches to avoid:

Acid test
Blessing in disguise
Conspicuous by his absence
Damn with faint praise
Dim religious light
Explore every avenue
Fair sex
Few and far between
Filthy lucre
Free gratis and for nothing
His own worst enemy
Ill-gotten gains
Inner man
Irony of fate
Last but not least
Leave no stone unturned
Method in his madness
More in sorrow than in anger
More sinned against than sinning
Neither rhyme nor reason
Of that ilk
Of the ____________ persuasion
Olive branches
Powers that be
Sleep the sleep of the just
Splendid isolation
Take one's name in vain
Tender mercies
There's the rub
To be or not to be
Through thick and thin
Tower of strength
Weaker vessel

Winners of "I and You" Challenge!

Read the winning submissions in the "I and You" Poetry Competition!
Congratulations to Ben Maksym of Grand Isle, Kaytlyn Ann Young of Shelburne and Peyton Cassel of Lancaster, PA!
Winners receive complimentary tickets to the Vermont Stage play, "I and You," at FlynnSpace in Burlington! Poems will also be displayed at the theater during the play's run, from April 20 to May 8.