Vermont Writes Day at Peoples Academy

Seventh year for Vermont Writes Day -- and 2016 is a huge success!
Here are some photos from Peoples Academy in Morrisville where everyone stopped what they were doing to WRITE for seven minutes!
Special thanks to English Teacher Dorienne Cedeno, Principal Philip Grant & Receptionist Michele Walker!

Vermont Writes Day 2016 Writing Challenges

Vermont Writes Day is Wednesday, February 10th, and YWP is urging Vermonters of all ages to take just seven little minutes to write. You can post their stories, poems, essays, songs, rants -- and any other kind of writing you can think of -- for all to see! Post here and use the #vtwritesday hashtag. Post on vermontwritesday.org (open Wednesday; no login needed). Use pencils and pens and crayons and hang in the halls, or do dramatic readings in the cafeteria or the principal's office. JUST WRITE! And have fun!

1. Object: Out of nowhere, an object falls from the sky, landing directly at your feet. What is it and what happens next?

2. Cats: Write from the perspective of anyone or anything in the scene below.

Digital story workshop resources

Chloe

By Kassiani Austin

‘’Chole’’, my mom said,’’are you ready for school tomorrow?  “Yes,mom.”  I’m so ready for 6th grade.  I have a new bag, notebooks, and pencils.   “Can you brush my hair sis?” my little sister mia said.  “Only if you quiet down, Mike’s asleep.”  “Mia time to go to bed.” my dad said.  One good thing about being older is that I get to go to bed later.  

Digital Story Platforms

Medium— large audience, embed offline media; text-based, longform. recommend feature means you don’t need to rely on other sites to boost popularity— you can get popular within the site. Can write responses to other people’s posts and a link shows up automatically.

Tumblr— short posts, humor, activism, images. One type of media at a time. Notes = popularity.

Cowbird: need high-quality image, incorporate audio easily.

Exposure: display collection of photos; minimal and descriptive text

Atavist— like medium, with less in-site sharing; can’t subscribe to authors/topics. Side video embedding. Excellent for magazine articles. Limited— 3 free articles/month.

Book #1 The Desolate Valley

Once upon a time, a gorgeous teenage girl was speeding down a
path in the woods on a cool, crisp morn’ away from a terrible wizard.
When she stopped to catch her breath he hobbled out from behind a big
spruce tree & snatched the girl away to the land of the forgotten. A
dreadful place that kept all the evil souls locked up & away from the kind,
gentle living people. There he was going to keep her for five dreadful
years if the young boy hadn’t stopped him in his tracks. Meanwhile, up in
the land of the living, a charmin’ lad overheard the gods speaking. He
heard them speak of a beautiful maiden snatched from her family and
realized that the gods were too scared to do anything about it, So he set
off to find her himself. The gods had seen the lad listening in on them,
and had not spoke of the terrible wizard and that he didn't even know
where to start looking.

In the Style of Emily Dickinson

Poetry from Steven Glazer's 7th grade English class at Crossroads Academy, Lyme NH:

A Sea of blue lies up above

A Sea of blue lies up above
An Ocean with no floor-
Where does it end? Where does it go?
I yearn to know much more

The Stars - like Fishes dance around
Within their school of Friends-
The Galaxies-like Coral grow
Infinity extends
– Miriam Viazmenksi
7th grade
Crossroads Academy
Lyme, NH

I sauntered 'cross these Frozen Fields-

I sauntered 'cross these Frozen Fields-
In the Dead of Winter-
The Frost glistens upon the Ground-
Flowers slowly wither

The Ice drips down from Window Panes-
Surrounding every house
The Snow rushes throughout the Wind-
A Blizzard all around

Around the cozy fireplace-
I dwell by the warmth
A shield from the Wintry World-
That covers all the Earth

Add audio!

Make those Digiwrimo posts sing! Add audio!
See these pretty mountains below?

You'll find them when you Create a Blog (at the far right of the tool bar in the Body section.) Just click the mountains to "Add media" and upload your audio file (and/or photos.)
Read your piece, add music or background sounds. Bring in some photos and you're on your way to digital storytelling. Oh, and remember to Save!

YWP Meeting Dec. 5!

Join YWPers THIS SATURDAY, Dec. 5, 10 a.m. - 1p.m. We'll meet at 10 a.m. at the Burlington Generator for a very cool journalism workshop!  The Generator is at 250 Main St., Burlington (lower level of Memorial Auditorium). We'll have a tour and a chance to meet some of the creative people who are working and inventing there! At about 11.30, we'll walk over to YWP (47 Maple St.), have lunch (we'll provide it) and talk about what we saw and heard at the Generator...

For those who are interested in trying their hand at interviewing and photographing at The Generator, we'll have cameras & audio recorders. Bring your own camera and/or audio recorder if you prefer. This is step one of a new YWP journalism project in collaboration with the Generator.

Six minutes for six-word stories

In six minutes, write as many six-word stories as you can. If any of these interest you, take 'em and sprout 'em!

Yellow roses remind me of you.
“Run,” she yelled. “Don’t look back!”
Don’t laugh. It’s true – and sad.
He peered at the clock. Midnight.
“Wait for me,” he pleaded. “Please.”
Bats, troubled creatures, need our protection.
He tipped his hat. She blushed.
We cried a lot, then laughed.
When will you visit me? Ever?
Jaw clenched, tears welling. It's painful.
She cared about all of us.
Kindest dear heart I ever met.