Look Up

Congratulations to those whose Winter Tales will be presented!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WRITERS whose poetry and stories were selected by Vermont Stage Company to be performed at the 11th annual Winter Tales at FlynnSpace in Burlington, Dec. 9-13! For information and tickets, click here.
Thank you to all writers who submitted to this challenge! You can read all submissions here.

CLICK READ MORE to see the winning authors, links to their submissions and the dates of their performances:

Deep fall

The Costume, VI

Annabelle was a perfect, pint-sized witch. Tiny, tiny. Her costume was all purples and lime green and black velvet with a tall, pointy hat. She was pretty cute, Hannah thought, and she could feel her eyes being drawn to the flashing lights strung across the bodice.

Ah, Hannah thought, she wins. She wins. She looks extraordinary. Even though it was clearly a store-bought outfit – not an original – those lights, thought Hannah, those lights…

Hannah’s mother took Annabelle’s hand. “Let’s go honey, let’s go trick-or-treating. Come on, Hannah.”

Hannah watched as her mother and Annabelle started down the street. The boys were close behind. She could hear her brother complimenting Annabelle on her costume and the other boys, including the un-loyal Tom, chiming in.
“She is going to be a candy magnet!” one of the boys shouted. “Guaranteed!”

About Annotations

Tips from a YWP staff discussion led by Geoff Gevalt, Nov. 17, 2015

What are annotations?
Annotations on the YWP site are intended as private comments to the author. Only the editor writing the annotation and the author of the piece can see the comments.

The process: Before you begin annotations, write a reaction beside the piece so all can see and the writer receives notice that someone's commenting. You can also note in your reaction that YWP wants to publish the piece and the writer should check out the annotations that will lead to publication.

Stick season

We walk the trail by the river in the foothills of Mount Mansfield in all seasons. This day, in November, the forest floor is covered in rust-colored leaves. The river is clear and cold, rushing, rushing over smooth, speckled rocks. Best of all, with the leaves off the trees, we can see up and down the river, and up the cliffs to all the high places that are hidden on our summer walks. Our trail is bare, exposed, vulnerable. Stick season. It's the honest season, nothing hidden.

Soon, though, winter's blanket will cover these woods and this trail. Stick season leads to ski season. And this day, on our November trail, we are suddenly filled with sweet anticipation as we come upon a fellow walker, a young man in a ski jacket, who turns to us and says with a huge smile, "Yeah! Winter!"

essay 0 comments challenge: General

Trampoline Football

Flying through the air while getting hit by a 300 pound defender, Trampoline Football is closely related to regular football, however, the trampolines make a large difference. The rules are quite similar but have a few minor differences. Instead of 11 on 11 as in traditional football, Trampoline Football consists of eight players per side. On the offense, there are three linemen, two wide receivers, two running backs and one quarterback. The field, or the trampoline, is five feet wider on each side. Coaches can have two challenges instead of one.  Holding penalties are a five yard loss, not ten. The last rule is that there are no field goals or extra points.
fiction 0 comments challenge: Fame

Fame

Fame: Write about a character who is suddenly famous. The paparazzi are outside the window and the character’s face keeps flashing on the TV screen, but she/he has no idea why! What happens? And why the sudden fame?

The Costume, V

Hannah, the four ghouls and Spider-Man left the house and set out in the dark night. Hannah’s mother sensed that her children felt they were too old to have her tag along, but since they hadn’t stated their objections, and with baby Annabelle now a consideration, she happily joined them, keeping a respectful couple of paces behind.

The group, experienced trick-or-treaters, quickly bypassed their own street – a waste of time, with its string of darkened houses and Mrs. Wilson’s Jolly Ranchers being the best they could hope for. They moved efficiently toward the bright lights of Maple Street, the street where Annabelle lived.

Celebration of Writing 2015

More than 50 young people from across Vermont and around New England attended Young Writers Project's Celebration of Writing on Nov. 7.

The Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier was humming with creativity as writers and visual artists gathered for a full day of workshops and the release of "Anthology 7," YWP's collection of the best writing and photography from the past year.

Chard deNiord, the recently installed Poet Laureate of Vermont and author of five books of poetry, including the just published, "Interstate," kicked off the day with a writing workshop in the college chapel. He said later that he was impressed by the young writers' enthusiasm for their craft.

"I was really encouraged about how excited the students were about just writing, as if they've been bitten by the bug already," deNiord said.