John McCrae, Nov. 11

For Nov. 11: "In Flanders Fields"

In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae, 1872 - 1918

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead; short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie

Things

Last week my parents broke the news to me that we’re moving across the country.  Off to Colorado we go, where the sun and snow swirl together.  After selling our house one month ago, we moved into an apartment where we would stay until we found another house.  Of course, the plan was to buy a house in the same town.  That all changed when an incredible job position opened up for my mom, but on the other side of the country.

We're celebrating

Rise from your slumber, no time to waste.
We have poems to write and cookies to taste.
Throw on your trousers, the striped ones will do.
The red shirt is festive; all right, try the blue.
We're celebrating writing -- today is the day.
So write your heart out, and please don't delay.
The words will come to you; it'll be pure delight.
We're going to be writing from morning til night.

See you at the Young Writers Project Celebration of Writing in Montpelier! Today!

Six by the sea

Six quick words

Anthology 7 Photos (I)

The Costume, IV

Previously: Hannah, age 9, has spent months preparing her costume for the perfect Halloween. But a last-minute change of plans threatens to ruin it...

IV
To her credit, Hannah did her best to cheer up. Tom, the kind-hearted but spacey boy from next door, Hannah’s oldest friend, knew enough to compliment her on her costume – and that pleased her. But as for the baby cousin coming along with them? Well, he didn’t see why it was such a big deal.
“It’s just Halloween,” he said from behind his Spider-Man mask.
No, Hannah thought. It was not just Halloween.

Anthology 7 Photos (II)

Anthology 7 Photos by Kevin Huang and Dylan Sayamouangkhua of Burlington High School; and Bri Lancaster, Mya Dusablon, Jo Munson, Linna Lahmadi, Jarod Adams-Wight, Emily Harvey, Thomas Williams, Elena Tall, Addie Scanlon and Cody Pavlovic of Essex High School.

The Costume, III

Previously:
The Costume, Part I
http://youngwritersproject.org/node/2299
The Costume, Part II http://youngwritersproject.org/node/2310

III
Hannah stared helplessly at her mother. How could she have agreed to let Annabelle come trick-or-treating with them – on Hannah’s special Halloween? This was a bad idea – and her mother knew it! Hannah could tell that her mother knew it by the way she was ducking her head, busily tying her sneakers and avoiding Hannah’s eyes.
When her mother finally looked up, she gave Hannah a firm look and shook her head. No, Hannah, not now. It’s not going to work.
Hannah turned to her brother. Surely he would side with her.
“Annabelle is 2 years old!” Hannah blurted, tears close behind. “She’ll hold us back! We won’t even make it halfway around the neighborhood with her!”

Town Forest Challenge Winners!

Congratulations to the three winners of the Vermont Town Forest Writing Challenge: Wren Forbes, Fiona Stowell and Alexandra Contreras-Montesano!
Thank you to the 45 writers who submitted their work to this challenge, marking the centennial of the legislation that started Vermont's town forests, now numbering more than 300! And thank you to the challenge sponsor, the Vermont Town Forest Centennial Celebration.

First place: Wren Forbes, Age 11, Fayston, VT
Story: A Forest for All
Prize: $100 and a 2016 season pass to Vermont State Parks

Second place: Fiona Stowell, Age 9, Homeschool, Warren, VT
Story: A Walk in the Eaton Town Forest
Prize: $75 and a 2016 season pass to Vermont State Parks

Third place: Alexandra Contreras-Montesano, Age 15, Burlington. VT