Photos by Kevin Huang, Burlington High School

Listen as Kevin Huang reveals how he got his start, where he finds inspiration and the choices he faces as a photographer.

Kevin is a Burlington High School senior who has been sending Young Writers Project his photos since he was in middle school.
His work has often been featured in The Voice, the newspaper series and the YWP anthologies. Ten of Kevin's photos appear in Anthology 7, the most recent anthology.

The Costume, II

Previously: Hannah had spent months planning and creating her Halloween costume. It was unique, hand-made and adorable. This year, she felt confident, it would be her turn to draw the oohs and ahhs from the neighbors, to stand out from the other trick-or-treaters in their predictable, store-bought vampire and Grim Reaper costumes.
In front of the mirror, Hannah rehearsed her casual responses to the impressed candy-givers. “I designed it myself,” “Ha-ha, yes it is an original,” and “I sewed it all by hand and I used only recycled material.” This remark would definitely extract extra candy from her environmentally conscious neighbors.

The Costume

I
Hannah had spent months planning and creating her Halloween costume. It was unique, hand-made and adorable. This year, she felt confident, it would be her turn to draw the oohs and ahhs from the neighbors, to stand out from the other trick-or-treaters in their predictable, store-bought vampire and Grim Reaper costumes.

Lincoln Essay Competition

Hildene, the Lincoln Family Home in Manchester, VT, invites all 8th grade students in Vermont to enter its annual Lincoln Essay Competition.
First place winners receive $1000, second place $750, third place $500, and honorable mentions $200.
The deadline for submissions is Lincoln’s birthday: Feb. 12, 2016. 
This year’s topic:  Why do you think racism persists in America? What factors contribute to its persistence and how can these factors be addressed in order to move the country toward a more perfect union?
Application packets, guidelines and tips can be downloaded here: http://www.hildene.org/schools.html.
For more information, contact Stephanie at [email protected]

poem 0 comments challenge: Forest15

Forest Haikus

From Richford Jr./Sr. High School, 7th grade

Listen very close
You might hear a faint whisper
A songbird's singing
-- Samantha Ryea, 12

Forest in life
life in forest
The town forest is
an excitement for the kids
and the family
--Zachariah Longley, 12

The town forest view
Deer and fox in the meadow
Nature is lovely
--Nicole Cunningham, 12

Bright, beautiful leaves
Town forest trail all around
Autumn view surrounds
--Cassidy Ryea, 12

Songbirds singing loud
Autumn trees tall as can be,
swaying in the breeze
--Ann Badger, 12

MY BACKYARD FOREST

My backyard forest is beautiful in the fall. It has beautiful maples, pines, redwood trees, birches, and ferns. Once, when I walked amongst them, I came upon an old stump. It is my secret tree, because it always has some secrets for me. Today I found colorful feathers there.
Many animals visit our forest: chipmunks, squirrels, deer, porcupine.
Visitors include one pesky bird. He comes so often, that we named him Knuckles. He is a ruffed grouse.
A walk in my woods is very beautiful in all seasons. Walks are fun and adventurous.
Every time it feels like exploring something new.

A Walk In The Eaton Town Forest

When we walked through the meadow to get into the Eaton Forest my friend Gere kept talking about Rock Tree. She said it was a rock that was good to climb on.  We were so excited that we started running. We were wanted to get there from the the start of the trail.  There was a skinny path that only one person could fit on at a time.  There were blackberry brambles on the side so we had to be careful to stay on it. "No, it's a little farther." said Gere.  "It is right after the bridge made out of stone." she said.  Finally we came to the bridge.  It was made of giant rocks laid on top of each other spanning a small brook.  The three of us walked across the bridge and there was Rock Tree!   When we got there I saw that Rock Tree looked like four or five trees growing out of a rock.  It was actually one big trunk that had many large limbs coming out of it.  The first one was almost exactly level with the rock.

YWP Saturdays

Thanks to all the YWPers who joined us at the Karma Birdhouse for our first YWP Saturday (Sept. 19)! It was a day of brainstorming, eating donuts and making big plans!
This session was all about the new web site, YWP's mission in life and The Voice -- we had some excellent ideas and reality checks on what works and what needs work.
Interested in being part of YWP's youth advisory group? Contact Sarah at [email protected] or Susan at [email protected] and watch the site for the date of the next YWP Saturday. We promise sugar and spice.

Red Rocks Park

"Mom, what was that?" A loud chirping noise, that of a bird was singing and it drew me in like a beautiful tone. "I don't know Alex, let's go and find out"; my Mom said. Red Rocks Park is located in South Burlington, Vermont. Beautiful, peaceful and quiet, sounds of nature rumble through your ear throughout your walk in the park.

Beginning in 1888 the large property was part of an annual summer retreat for the family of Edward Hatch Jr. Their family managed the Lord and Taylor dept. store chain in the late 1800's. The Lord and Taylor dept. store was founded in 1826 with Headquarters in Manhattan, New York City. Products that were carried were clothing, footwear, jewelry, beauty products, fragrances, electronics, bedding, and housewares. Edward Hatch took up residence where the hotel Vermont is now, while he was in town. The city of South Burlington purchased the site with federal assistance from the land and water conservation fund in 1970.

Erin's Tree