sheeserl's picture

The Middle

My older brother, my rock. The athletic one, the businessman, the strong, and smart one. Tall and skinny, an envy to many, he walks through life with the just the right amount of confidence. In many ways, I have looked up to him for my whole life. He is witty, a people person. A magician with words. He pulls ideas out of his head and spins them like a web. He works his way around a mess with such ease and grace, you’d think that he's a dancer. He lives in the eye of a hurricane. Disaster and chaos twirling around him, but where he goes, a calmness follows. When he leaves, and before he arrives, is when the rain hits, the wind starts beating against your skin, bringing tears to your face with the harshness of the truth when he reveals it to you. He is a closed book, lock thrown away, and not to be searched for. With questions, come no answers when he is involved. I see my mother's hair turning grey, and her eyes growing old as she sits, waits, tries to be a part of his life.
sheeserl's picture

Climate change

Something you have to understand is: everyday, humans are slowly speeding up the rate at which we destroy our planet, our world, our home. This is happening, because humans are never satisfied with what we have. We are constantly trying to make more, and have things quicker. This trait, is usually a great way to continue to grow, and advance our civilization. But right now, this gift, has turned to a fatal flaw. While we sit here, we throw plastic on the land, and pollute the air with chemicals. We spill oil into the water, and cut down forests, habitats, homes of the innocent and helpless animals that we are killing. We are ripping them from their homes, and we justify it by saying that we need the space to expand, to grow our big gray buildings, and our blocks of city streets. We need more. That is the common theme in everything that we do. We need more. 
sheeserl's picture

Not returning

This is not 
easy,
speaking my mind,
letting you see inside my thoughts,
they are the 
only
things I have to 
myself
in this world.

Here is my message to you,
the words I have never had the
courage
to say to you.
I’ve never said anything to
you,
to your face,
and now it is too
late.

When you 
left,
you broke this family.
You tore us up, 
and 
didn’t care if we 
survived.
We let you cause us 
pain,
because we loved you
for so 
long.
When you left, 
you caused the 
damage 
because we let you. 

We let you rip our lives apart,
and make us cry until our eyes were 
raw.
We let you do this, because
we loved you,
because we felt like
if you were causing us 
pain,
 you were 
still
with us.

I remember lying on the ground,
unable,
sheeserl's picture

The clock

The clock
Sitting on the wall, 
telling people when to live their lives.
What an amazing thing.

The clock.
It ticks, turning heads.
Changing lives as it makes us the people we are.
What would we be without the clock?
Who would tell us when to eat?
When to sleep?
When to go places. 

The clock 
It’s turning gears are like the ones in our minds,
Running our thoughts, 
Making our ideas.
The clock,
I have never seen a better multitasker,
It’s many hands working in 3 different spots at once.

The clock,
Shows a lot about the person it belongs to.
It tells the untold story of its owners,
The one about their likes, and dislikes.

The clock,
Despite its incredible powers,
Sits on the wall,
Unloved,
Without gratitude.

sheeserl's picture

I wonder

I wonder why we have not figure out, as a community, that it doesn't make any difference what color skin you have. Or what gender you associate with.
I wonder why we haven’t discovered that if we want to make it in the world, we need to be united. Which means that we can’t discriminate anymore. We can't look at job applications and select the white male, instead of the more qualified black woman.
I wonder why I have to grow up in a world where I am criticized on what I wear, what I eat, and what I chose to do with my body. I wonder why people think that it is okay to judge me, why they think that they have the right to tell me how to live.
I want to live in a world where I can walk alone at night, because I want to look at the stars, and not worry about the fact that I am alone.
poem 0 comments challenge: I Am
sheeserl's picture

I am who I am

i am who i am

i am the girl that sings in the shower
the one that gives a dollar to anyone on the street

i am the freckles that are stars
hidden behind long brown hair

i am the youngest of three kids
the one inspired by her siblings

i am from not walking alone at night
to “hold your head up”

i am the one with legs too long
and a smile too small

i am who i am