This new community is six weeks old and we have nearly 1,000 users from all over the country! Wow!
We need your help to build this civil community to the point it has unprecedented energy -- and feverish revision and creative risk-taking. You are the best ones to do this. Be a community builder. Here are some things you can do:
- Spread the word. Let your circles of friends know about this space.
- Get your friends to join! Use the INVITE link under "ME" (logged-in users only) to send an invitation to a friend and earn userpoints (even more if they join).
- Love pieces you like.
- Better yet, post a REACTION to a post. Remember that the best way to get a reaction is to give a reaction.
- Better still, SPROUT a post to a post you like. See the link "sprout" underneat the story? It allows you to post something that the current post made you think about. And forever are the two linked!
- Share a post you like to your social media. (Click the blue "+" sign below the post.)
- Follow YWP in our various social incarnations (links on the bottom of each page or: Like us on Facebook
- and keep up with the latest news and events. Follow us on Twitter for great links to great posts. Follow us on Instagram for latest great photos (and a few funny candids). Those are a few...
- And if you are on social media, SHARE our posts about best work, so ALL the writers gain more audience.
By the way, for those of you who were members of the old site, 1) you need a NEW account for this site and 2) you can access (but not create new content) on the old site: archive.youngwritersproject.org.
Over the next few weeks, we'll be rolling out more features -- labs, projects, courses -- but we hope you'll dive in on the CHALLENGES -- a NEW one every day. And check out slideshows and recent reactions for some different ways to navigate the site (both under READ).
This is a digital writing space so we encourage you to incorporate photos and sound, to create slideshows and digital stories or, even, to let the digital media lead the story. Please let us know what you think: What do you like? What confuses you? What do you wish we (you) could do on this site? How can we get more youths into this community? Send an email or message me (gg).
So what can you do on this site? Click read more...
- DAILY challenges (prompts) -- every day a new idea to get you going.
- Special scheduled weekly challenges have initial deadlines (but you can respond to them anytime).
- REACTIONS (DISCUSSION) -- a new type of commenting that is LIVE (you can engage in conversation with someone on the site about the post or topic) located to the right of each post.
- USERPOINTS based on how active a community member you are in creating posts, reactions, revisions and inviting friends. As you gain more userpoints, you will be given new roles and greater ability to impact the community and assist YWP in its publishing arm.
- ANNOTATIONS -- Mentors, artists, staff and writers to read will be providing notes within the text of a story offering suggestions for improvement. These are visible only to the author and are done mostly on pieces that YWP would like to publish.
- HASHTAGS -- Add a one-word #hashtag anywhere in your piece to categorize it and link it to related posts, such as chapters in the same story.
- MEDIA INTEGRATION -- Easy image and audio uploading; just click the editing toolbar icon:
- SLIDESHOWS -- A new content type for a beautiful display of your best images or the creation of a digital story.
- YWP EVENTS CALENDAR -- A way to keep on top of events on site and in person.
But, wait, there is more....
- The site is being opened to youths from around the world. Know someone outside of Vermont? Invite them by clicking the Invite link under "ME" after you log in.
- More publishing points and growing partnerships with media outlets and other organizations around the country.
- Over the next few weeks we will be rolling out new ways to explore your creativity and hone your talents:
- LABS -- short mini-workshops focusing on a particular skill or genre or writing style or digital media tool. These will be live, but if you miss the live part, not to worry, you can do them anytime.
- PROJECTS -- Is there something larger you want to work on? These are more ambitious projects LED BY YOU with YWP's support. We'll be tapping into your brains to see what kinds of things you'd like to try and we'll then see if we can get some really talented folks out there to help.
- COURSES -- What does school NOT give you? That's where we'll be. How about a course on Writing a College Essay? We'll help. Or on Digital Storytelling. Or on Performance Writing. Just a few ideas ... what would you like?