I Promise

Two girls never thought they’d meet up. One named Gracie, she’s always happy, optimistic and bright. Like a bright sunny day. You look at her and you see happiness and that instantly makes your day happier than ever. But then the other named Ruth, she was a pessimistic person and always was unhappy. She was like an ugly rainy day and you can’t do anything about it. She’ll make you unhappy when she trips you, walking down the hallway. 

Ruth and Gracie were assigned partners one day and Gracie always started every single conversation. She knew that Ruth was dying to talk to her but her mind wouldn’t let her do it. The conversation dies over time. And Ruth’s words would die in her throat as she wanted to speak them.

“And that’s how you multiply fractions. Do you have any questions?” Gracie asked Ruth.

“No.” Ruth growled.

“C’mon, I know you have something to say. Your grumpy mind won’t let you say it though. Is something wrong? I can be your vent friend. You can tell me anything you want and I’ll give you advice if you want it, but I can also just listen.” Gracie suggested. 

“My parents are getting a divorce, my siblings are too young to understand what that means so I’m doing all of the parenting. My Dad’s abusive towards Carrie, the youngest of the twins. He thinks she’s a dissapointment. And my Mom’s an alcoholic. So that doesn’t make things easier either. The other twin, Percy wants all of the attention even when I’m trying to give Carrie attention. I wish I had some free time. And we have no money for a babysitter.” Ruth said. Tears were streaming down her face. All of the haunting memories were recurring to her and rushing through her mind. She glanced at Gracie. She pulled up her hood and silently said, “But you wouldn’t understand, would you.” Loud enough so Gracie could hear her.

“You’re right I don’t understand and I can’t do anything about it.” Gracie said.

“Why do you bother?” Ruth asked. “Why would anyone-” She got cut off by the warm feeling of a hug from Gracie. Gracie wrapped her arms around her and Ruth could feel the sadness from her body drain out of her, like water draining out of a bathtub.

“Because I care about you and your siblings and your family and everyone around you. You are sad. I know. I may not know how it feels or how to solve it but I can give you a hug and tell you that everything in the end will turn out okay. You’ll make it through the bad times. Whether it takes one week or one decade. You’ll make it through. I promise.” Gracie said. Ruth stood there in shock. 

“Thank you. You’re a gift from this earth. You deserve the best.” Ruth said. Ruth’s rainy personality became a partly sunny, partly cloudy personality just because of a hug from a sunny person. They hugged once again.

“Everything will be alright, I promise.”

Summit House-WCS

More by Summit House-WCS