Workshop > Polish It

Polish It

Now that you've received some feedback -- and given yourself some feedback -- it's time to start incorporating that into a revised draft. Take a look at the feedback you've received and consider it all carefully. The experience of the reader is what you, as the writer, are most concerned about. So any feedback a reader gives you is important. But, ultimately, it's up to you how you interpret that feedback, and how (or if) you incorporate it.

You may want to print a copy of your essay out and add notes to the text, so you can keep track of the different changes you're considering.

It's a good idea to read your piece out loud after making changes, to make sure you stay in your authentic voice. Feel free to backtrack to the last activity: record yourself reading the piece and then listen to the recording. This is an exercise that you may want to do a number of times (maybe just for certain sections) before you submit your essay.

Remember, your essay should sound like it's coming from you. So, take into consideration the feedback from your readers, but make sure you trust yourself too!

Activity
Post your new draft as a response to this XP. Along with your draft, include a request for feedback from your peers and mentors (what areas do you feel unsure about? Where do you need help?)

Feedback
Feedback: respond to your peers requests for feedback. Let them know where you got lost or confused, and which parts really stuck with you (that they should definitely keep).