Human on the Holidays

We all sighed as we saw the sold sign being pushed into the dirt. It was time for us to pack up and move again. This was the time of year when houses sold the most. Later that evening we had everything packed, and we floated outside.

The night was chilly and crisp, a fall evening with leaves floating down. I stayed still as one of them blew through me. Sometimes I missed being human and not having to leave houses so often. Of course we only did this so that way we didn’t disturb any of the humans. 

One of the other ghosts called to me and I floated over. They had found another house for sale. This time I hoped it would be sold after the holidays so we could enjoy them without moving. This was the best time of year for us. We could scare people as often as we liked, but after Halloween and Christmas, it got to be less fun to scare people.

I got sad watching them shop for presents for their family members and wished I could do the same. I wanted to have the same experience as the humans. The other ghosts I was with didn’t get as happy about it as I did. They had all died of old age whereas I had died a young baby and didn’t remember any of my human life. It was my one wish every year. I just wanted to become human for the holidays.

nfarnham

More by nfarnham

• Happiness

Happiness is….

The feeling of relief when you’ve completed all of the tasks for the day, 

The breeze on your face while walking on the beach with the sky-colored gray. 
  • Friends...

Friends can be both delight and pain at the same time. Being friends with someone brings good and bad memories and no relationship with anyone can be all good and all bad.
  • The Problem

“Where did you put the money??? The guy will be here any minute now and we can’t miss this payment!” I screeched at Chole.