when the rain comes.

I wrote this for a contest and want to know if y'all think it's any good. <3

i. our feet have turned blue. windows thrown open for reminders, "our world is there." if it's right here, why can't i see it?
a stack of tea in some supermarket sits stale and unloved.
no one heals.

ii. we break. 
no one knows when it happened, may, october, january, months trailing after each other with no meaning. maybe we were already broken.
cracks. splinters in our skin too big to pull out. we struggle hard to breathe. 
I don't remember when we stopped.

iii. we know we can't forget.
february is made for cotton, winds that stuff up our ears, heavy sheets, thin towels. the sky is blank. so are our hidden faces.
we desperately try to stay. stay hopeful, when hope has run out. still, trembling, we stand. 

iv. the wind. it comes first. gusting around homes, shaking our roofs, our roots. 
are we almost gone?
we slice pears quickly, throw them away. we are green, rotten, halved. 
the wind still comes.

v. tears. we are sick and we are heavy. our tears come too quick, we need to save them.
a girl sits in the half-sun.
where is the rain?

vi. we, relentless, tear open junk food and wonder why it's so cold. we already forgot what winter was. bare feet twitch, freezing.
we try to hide, burying ourselves in ice cream. nothing is big enough to block out the people.

vii. when the rain comes. someone looks up, scared. if we wash away the dust, there is
probably nothing left.

NiñaEstrella

More by NiñaEstrella