The Heart Calls (a book im writing PLS RATE IT 1 - 10 in the comments!!!!!)

1  
May 22nd, 1972

Dear Papa, 
I miss you so much. Ever since you left to voyage across the Atlantic; exactly 14 days ago, the cold nighttime breezes have blasted through the wide windows in the living room, almost to say that they are missing you too. How is it out on the ocean? Are you having a fabulous time? Ma said you were probably busy eating scrumptious meals and watching TV. 

I am writing to you because I have learned of some startling news. The MI5 has recently detained seventeen Russian spies, and they have found evidence of at least thirty more spread across the United Kingdom alone. I’m scared, Papa, and I don’t know how Ma and I are gonna survive for seven whole months without you.  (Ma and I calculated how long it will take us to get enough money to board a vessel heading westwards, and seven months is what we found.)

Last night, we found cockroaches in the attic. Big large ones. Ones that haunt you in your dreams. We know you’d know how to get rid of them. We can’t call anyone because we have to save money. We’ll hope for the best, I guess. Oh hey! Aunt Carolina came the other day and gave us some of her spectacular blueberry bread! We’ll savor it, and pretend like you’re right here; eating some of it too. 

Write me back as soon as you can. I’ll be waiting eagerly at the mailbox!
Love, your daughter Mailey
P.S, 

The circus is coming to town! Ma and I wanna go real bad. We might spend a little extra money. Just to get tickets and all. 
    P.P.S, 

Lily just turned four! We had a fine birthday party; with cake and everything! It was lonesome without you, though.

2
                       May 29th, 1972
Dear Mailey, 
    So much has happened in just the course of a few days. The captain of the mighty ship I’m on almost had a stroke the other day. Tell me, how’s Ma and Lily? I miss you all dearly. Yes, I heard of the news the other day; it was playing on the big wide television in the cafeteria. Oh my, you should see the rooms on this ship. Intricate designs cover each wall. Each wall has a different shade of blue. The bedsheets are of what I believe to be a silky kind of fabric, with ancient writings all over it. The crew is worried about a Russian submarine torpedoing us, although there is a small chance of this happening because the Russians wouldn’t dare to attack a British ship. They would be foolish to do so!

On some exciting news: I have gotten word from my brother’s household in Canada. He has been planning for my arrival for a few months, it seems. He says that in Canada, everyone is friendly towards foreigners. Although this is a well-known fact, it was such a nice letter.

I will be sure to write again soon, my dear Mailey. Until then, keep your grades up and make sure Ma and Lily are in good spirits; we wouldn’t want them to become depressed.
    Love, Papa
P.S, 

They indeed have many scrumptious foods! Stuff that is new to me! I have recently tried Soupe à l'oignon, a traditional French soup made of onions and beef stock. It was served with croutons and melted cheese on top! It was indeed delightful and fulfilled my hunger.

3
                                                    June 4th, 1972
Dear Papa, 
    Oh, how jealous I am of your voyage! It seems as if it is pleasurable. Oh my! They really believe a Russian ship to be that far west? I hope to god they are wrong!  Ma says to ask you what the password is for our safe. She has run out of extra money and we haven’t even bought food yet! Please write back soon. Once you make landfall in Canada, be sure to write to me! 
Love, your daughter Mailey. 

4
                       June 11th, 1972
Dear Mailey, 
    We are writing to inform you of some news: We are no longer allowing messages from mainland Britain to any ships in the Atlantic. This is due to the predicaments the British navy is in, after learning of Russian intelligence submarines but one hundred and fifty-six nautical miles away from Pordenack Point! We are worried that those buffoons will get word of our military plans. We are coming up with a system to check letters and see if they contain any secretive information so that you can write all you want to the passengers of ships, but until August eighteenth, all letters headed towards ships will be destroyed. 
    Best wishes, Attorney General of the British Mail Delivery Office, Richard Sorten

5
                       June 15th, 1972

Dear Richard Sorten, 

In response to your previous letter, I am deeply horrified by the sudden manor this is occurring in! You should be disgraced to forbid letters from the mainland to ships and the other way around! What am I supposed to do now? My family is in desperate need to contact our father, who is currently on the HMS Condor II. How are we intended to proceed with this if we are not authorized to write?
    With hopes for an answer, Mailey Buchens

6
                       June 16th, 1972
Dear Cousin Ella, 

Have you heard the news? The British government has voted to ban all letters going from the mainland to a ship, and the other way around as well until August eighteenth! I won’t be able to write to my papa! What shall I do? Ella, oh how I wish you hadn’t moved all the way to Marseille! You are deeply missed! Lily just turned four but a month ago! 
Kind wishes, your cousin Mailey
P.S, 

What is your opinion on this “Cold War” between Russia and many nations? I believe it to be a foolish thing, and pray that nuclear weapons are dismantled soon! If they aren’t, we could be in a dangerous world. 

7
                       June 19th, 1972
Dear Mailey, 

I was ecstatic to get a letter from you! We have not talked in many months!  In my opinion, what the British are doing is appalling! Russian submarines or not, all citizens should always have the ability to write a letter! Considering your circumstances, my parents are willing to send your family a few pounds so you can buy essentials. Until then, stay well and don’t fret about it, I’m sure your father will be just fine. Maybe he can write to you when he gets to Canada? As for your inquiry earlier about the “cold war,” I am quite dubiously making my way around this topic, as I am sure the British are scanning every letter for written intelligence. 
Best wishes, Ella
P. S, 

My older brother Isacc has gotten into the Marseille Medical School! Can you believe it? He’ll be going off the stay with our uncle soon; he’s much closer to the school than we are. 

8
                       June 22nd, 1972
Dear Ella, 

As you would most likely say, Merci! We appreciate your family’s help with graciousness, and in return, we shall send you our recipe for onion soup! I am deeply worried about my Papa as the journey takes about three weeks to a month, and he has not written to me in almost a month. Granted, his ship might have taken a detour due to the rapid currents and storms in the Northern Atlantic. I will update you when time permits
In good wishes, Mailey

9
                       June 24th, 1972
FROM THE BRITISH INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE 
Dear British citizens, 

We have withheld critical information from you. A submarine has recently sunken a few of the British passenger ships in the Northern Atlantic, and they are making gains in bypassing our enemy attack alert. The British mainland may be at stake within the month. We are doing everything in our power to make sure the citizens of Britain will be completely safe and protected in the event of a full-out war. 
With hopes of a brighter future, 

Micheal Tarnage, Secretary of Defense

Gabrielle Moraque, Council of International Intelligence

10
                       June 29th, 1972
ОТ РОССИЙСКОГО КОМИТЕТА ПО РАЗВЕДКЕ
Дорогая Мэйли,

Как вы знаете, британцы пытались скрыть ваши письма, и мы пришли к выводу, что это не совсем заслуживает вашего одобрения. У нас есть новости: ваш отец в безопасности, мы спасли его от глубоких и свирепых океанских течений. Мы имеем в виду, несколько дней назад, его корабль; HMS Condor II был взорван динамитом и затонул в течение нескольких минут. Ваш отец был одним из немногих, кто выжил, и, насколько нам известно, он плыл на небольшой, но плавучей спасательной шлюпке. Ему повезло. Тебе тоже может повезти. Поэтому мы и пишем вам. Мы хотим, чтобы вы слили некоторую информацию о британском разведывательном комитете. (Что ж, я полагаю, мы могли бы назвать это шпионажем, но мы не будем называть это так по разным причинам.) Пожалуйста, отправьте свой ответ по номеру: 495-002-4911 до 10 июля.

С уважением, с надеждой на ответ,

Андрей Смирновст, глава комитета по сбору внешней разведки

FROM THE RUSSIAN INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE 
Dear Mailey, 

As you know, the British have tried suppressing your letters and we have come to understand that this is not quite gaining your approval. We have news: your father is safe, we have rescued him from the deep and ferocious ocean currents. What we mean is, a few days ago, his ship; HMS Condor II was blasted with dynamite and sunk within a few minutes. Your father was one of the only survivors and our knowledge suggests that he took afloat in a small but floatable lifeboat. He was lucky. You could be lucky as well. This is why we are writing to you. We want you to leak some information regarding the  British Intelligence Committee. (Well, I suppose we could call it spying but we will not refer to it like that for a various assortment of reasons.) Please send your answer via the number: 495 - 002 - 4911 by July 10th.  

Sincerely with the hope of a response, 

Andrei Smirnofst, Head of the Committee of Foreign Intelligence Collecting

SparkleJessie

More by SparkleJessie

• Dancing girl

I laugh as she flips her hair towards me

Her water bottle glimmers in the light

That is as bright as a sun

But what is the world becoming day by day

When they say we cannot inhabit an area together
  • What I see

The room is shaking for no reason at all

I stare at my phone

A glimpse

Of desperation 

Encountering the devil on the other side of the wall

The other side of humanity