The Flood

By Apple Graham

One day when we were on vacation in Long Beach we decided to go to an amusement park. It was great at first. We were going on rides and playing games. Soon enough it started to rain. It wasn't bad at first, so we kept going on with our day. Then my friends and I decided to go inside to the arcade because we were getting very wet and there was lots of thunder. 

When we got inside it started to rain way harder! Everyone was wet and people worried about how they would get home, and when the rain was going to stop. Everyone thought this would be it… no! A worker said on the loudspeaker if you parked on blah blah blah street and your license in blah blah blah…please go and check your car. 

Everyone ran out to the door and looked all around. Lots of people were gasping and shouting. My friends and I ran to see what was going on. It was flooding!  At that time I did not expect a flood. My friend’s family and I went back inside and talked for a long time. Then the grown ups decided to let the rain and thunder cool down a little. To pass time we played arcade games. Ultimately, we all thought we should go home. 

We took off our shoes and went out into the knee deep water that was filled with trash and salt because we were close to the ocean. The water splashing on our feet felt good, but we had to remember that there might be glass on the sidewalk so we carefully walked back to the car. On our way back to the parking lot where the car sat, we hoped that it wasn't too wet on the inside when we got in. It was wet…very wet. 

On the drive back home we talked about the crazy experience we just had. You would have thought that all of it would have been hard and stressful to handle, but no. Well, maybe for the parents but not for the kids. It was fun!                                                             

The ELM

More by The ELM