About Young Writers Project

With generous support from the Vermont Business Roundtable, Young Writers Project began its work -- to help young people gain skills and really understand the value and power of writing. YWP has provided professional development and support to over 2,000 educators to help make their jobs easier and more effective. From the weekly writing challenges to workshops to YWP's private classroom platform, YWP makes writing fun. Most services are free or have a very limited charge. 
What We Do

Young Writers Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to helping youths build the confidence and communication skills needed to succeed in school, college, the workplace and beyond. Our work is rooted in a diverse online community -- youngwritersproject.org -- an environment defined by respect, quality and innovation where young people learn from their differences and gain skills from peers, mentors and experts.

Welcoming, Safe Programs
Young Writers Project seeks to make its organization and all its programs welcoming and safe to all youths. Through a diverse staff and intentional partnerships, YWP builds a vibrant diversity within its online community -- youngwritersproject.org -- to allow its members to learn from their differences in ethnicity, geography, economics and opportunity. Our forum provides a practical way for youths to gain cultural literacy, build confidence in communication, find voice and develop aspirations.

Services

Young Writers Project offers a variety of free resources and affordable services give teachers the ability to whip up our recipe for writing excellence - community, learning and audience - in their own classrooms.
The Fun Writing Project

YWP has developed an easy-to-use, intuitive and private online space for a teacher to use to help their students write more. It looks and feels just like this site and allows students to respond to prompts or create their own work, to see each other's work and to learn how to observe and offer feedback on their classmates' work. When they learn how to do this in a way that is well-received, the student gains complex literacies and skills.

We call it the Fun Project because that's what students tell us it is. We encourage teachers to use the platform for practice writing, for quick writes, for idea-storming -- and for commenting. It is so important for students to learn to find and develop their own ideas, ideas theiy can grow more excited about. And, of course, it's important that they practice. We call it the Fun Project because a fifth grader in Newark, NJ, made the suggestion. After a full day of storytelling on the site with 16 classmates and seven teachers (who fully participated as "students," he said we should change our name.

The service can be seen here: https://ywpvt.org. We offer it for a nominal fee -- $250 per teacher -- and it includes our technical and content support throughout the year. Got a problem? Call us. Want an idea? Get in touch. 

YWP CHALLENGES Try out our weekly writing challenges. Most have been conceived by YWP writers. You are welcome to use any and all that you want. If you have our platform, it'll be easy for you to go into https://youngwritersproject.org and snag the challenges you want to us and import them directly to your site.

To learn more, go to https://ywpvt.org. If the outside interests you, contact us  for a guest login so you can see it and test it out. 
At $20 a month this is a remarkable value that has been shown to increase students' production, enjoyment and performance. 

Teacher Resources

Our free teacher resources help educators extend writing education beyond the classroom walls.

A FREE ACCOUNT on youngwritersproject.org allows teachers to submit student writing to be considered for publication by YWP. So much of the writing that is generated in school never sees an audience. Young Writers Project's platform makes it safe and easy for teachers to share students' work with the wider world. Create an account by clicking here.

We also encourage teachers -- particularly those teaching grades 7-12 -- to have their students sign up for an account and post work done inside or outside class. Use the YWP community to help engage your students in all types of writing. Extend your classroom!

YWP SUPPORT STAFF can answer questions and give you advice about how to create a writing routine in your classroom that elicits cheers rather than groans from your students. Contact Geoffrey Gevalt if interested.

For more information on what the site has to offer kids, check out this page.

Youth Programs

Young Writers Project's programs welcome any of your students -- from anywhere -- in conjunction with school or not.

THE ONLINE COMMUNITY at youngwritersproject.org is free, secure and open to any youth, anywhere. It has over 4,000 active members from all over the U.S. and the world. Youths can use YWP prompts to generate writing ideas, post and edit original content, receive peer and mentor feedback, read and comment on other users' posts and submit work to be considered for publication to external audiences. Students ages 13 and up can simply create accounts and get started. Those under 13 will need a permission form before we can approve them.

YWP WORKSHOPS, online workshops in playwriting, short story writing, etc., through the year, are free to individual members of the community. Watch the website for new workshops. However, we ask that if schools wish to bring a group of students to the service, that it donate to YWP. Please contact Geoffrey Gevalt at 802-324-9537 if you're interested.

PUBLICATIONS are the result of writers' hard work! Anything posted anywhere on the site by anyone - unless otherwise indicated - is eligible to be selected for publication in YWPs premiere digital magazine, The Voice, or by YWP's print, digital and broadcast media partners. Teachers are welcome to direct their students to post work for consideration or teachers can create accounts and submit work on their students' behalf.

OPEN MICS & LIVE EVENTS put young writers face-to-face with supportive, enthusiastic audiences. Check out our upcoming events!