Workshop > A moment

A moment

This is a common way to start a story -- think of a memorable moment, something that happened that brought change or that put you in a dilemma or that was really a sudden rush of emotion. ALL you will do is make a list -- with phrases intended to capture the essence, headline, action of your story to remind you of what it was. And, again, think of a memorable moment in your life. Here are some framing questions to help:
  • an act of betrayal (something you've done, or something done to you)
  • a moment when you've hurt someone
  • a moment when you've been hurt by someone
  • a time I saw something I wish I could unsee
  • a time when you overheard something or saw something that you shouldn't have
  • a time when you did something really embarrassing
  • a time when you made a bad choice, as in really bad choice
  • a time when you made a major transition
  • one of your scars
  • a time when you wish you had said something, but didn't
  • a time when you did say something that you wish you hadn't
So give yourself a minute or so to think, click RESPOND and list as many things as you can in TWO minutes. Cheat if you want, but don't go over 5 minutes. Otherwise you will turn into a toad.

Activity I
OK, so now that you've got a list, edit your piece and put a big X in front of the three stories you like best. Save and walk away.
Activity II
Now that you are back, decide which one of your stories in the list -- or maybe it's one you just thought of. Now we want you to TELL the story orally by recording yourself. And do NOT worry if you mess up or get a little lost, just keep going. 
  • TIP: You can record directly onto your blog if you have a microphone on your computer. In EDIT mode of your list, click ADD MEDIA, CLICK 'BROWSE' under Audio, Click the tab: Recorder and follow the instructions. Make sure to SAVE your audio (don't play it) and then SAVE your post. (Now play it.)
  • STORYTELLIG HINT: Start the story later than you think you should and end it earlier than you think you should.
  • Imagine you are telling this story to a friend, someone who knows you and does NOT judge you.
Acitivy-III
Go and look at another participant's list and listen to their story. GIVE them some feedback. Tell them what works. Tell them what's missing or what could be amplified.