The Unfamiliar Forest

By Sofia Wells

I step through an unfamiliar forest I have found and explore. I stumble over a rock before I look out into the horizon I was ignoring. It is peaceful, that is the only way I can describe this magical place. It feels like mine instantly, as if no one has been here and this mysterious field has been reserved and waiting for me. It somehow feels as if I am escaping out of the dark, damp woods I have been in, but at the same time I might be going further and further into somewhere I am not going to find a way out. I feel nervous but comforted. I dismiss those thoughts. There is a pond that stretches far beyond a distance my eyes can examine. I feel a small breeze that tingles at the back of my neck, through my arms, and rests at the tips of my fingers. The whole place seems to sway like a gentle song that can sing you to sleep. I haven’t got close to the water but I know it is warm and soft enough that you could sift the light weight through your fingers. The sun is hidden among the clouds in the sky, but somehow this place is golden and luminous compared to the grey and brown forest.

The ELM

More by The ELM