Our Ash Tree

Our Ash Tree

By: Greta L.
Playing outside was something my family did a lot. Whether it was hide and go seek, tag,  walking in our woods, playing on our swings, or climbing a trees, we were always out there.  Climbing trees was always special though, especially because we had a main “climbing tree,” which was an ash tree. This was convenient because our play structure had that tree towering over it, making it feel like a playground. Something fun and had adventure.

Soon the Emerald ash borer came to Vermont, eating away at the all ash trees, including ours. I then suddenly heard the talk about the ash tree in our yard maybe needing to be cut down because of the Emerald Ash Borers, and possibly other numerous ash trees as well. Our climbing and play structure tree was something that was constantly growing in our yard, so having it not in our yard would feel so different.

Soon enough, we had to have that ash tree cut down, and probably other ash trees very soon, too. There was now a bare spot. No more climbing tree, no more ash tree proudly towering over our play structure. Luckily, we cut down our ash tree before the Emerald Ash Borer completely destroyed it. We then could use the wood of the tree in many ways, kind of like an afterlife. We now use it for firewood in our fireplace, reminding us of how we should and can help the other ash trees from the Emerald Ash Borer. It also gives us awareness about what is going on in Vermont before it’s too late.

mbove

YWP Instructor

More by mbove

• Sugar Maple

Sugar maple

Ow sugar maple standing up 

As straight as a pole 

You give me sap so

I can make maple syrup

Homemade and boiled

Over a fire with the smell of maple syrup

That day
  • If I Could Be Anywhere

If I could be anywhere right now, I wouldn't be in this cold, dark classroom, trying to keep writing so all my writing won't disappear. This sucks. I am the complete essence of misery. I do not care for this at all.
  • Untitled

Why do you laugh,
    When I feel such anger?
    Why can’t I have this one thing,
    When you have all the rest?
    Why do I stay,
    If this doesn’t feel right?
    Why is the world like this,
    If we are all created equal?