Charleston I

PART I

The airport is stuffy, and it's about nine in the morning. My face feels like it's filled with lead and my legs are just wooden stumps that must keep moving or else. One hall bleeds into another, escalators pile on top of each other in my head, and thousands of video games burn into my eyes. Waiting in a hard gray chair is just as bad as wandering aimlessly around the large expanse of gray that is the airport, so I choose the chair and more video games. I must check my watch almost every minute, because the time is taking it's sweet - well, time, and we haven't gotten on the plane in what feels like the ten hours I've been sitting here. Finally, finally, it's announced that group A will be boarding soon. 
Unfortunately, we're in group F. 
As you can probably imagine, I am bored out of my mind as group D takes forever getting on the plane, and then E, and then... 
Yes! I'm finally walking down the hall onto the giant piece of metal that is going to carry me down the country to my second home. 
The flight attendant (and sometimes the pilot if he's a nice pilot, which they're not always) is standing at the door to the airplane, greeting people. Turns out, flight attendants really like kids. Beats me why. 
Of course there's the usual scuffle to go maddeningly slowly down the hall to our seats, and then my sister and I have to decide who gets the window seat (for the first glimpse of our destination!) It's usually me. 
For most of the flight, if we're on a good airplane I watch a movie (it was on a plane that I first saw Into the Woods!) but if I don't have a TV I'll play even more video games on the iPad. (By this time I am ridiculously tired of video games, which almost never happens.) Sometimes the flight feels short, and sometimes I'm constantly asking how much time there is left until we get there. 
At long last, my dad will nudge me and point out the window, and there it is! Tons of cars driving along the roads, large expanses of water, giant houses with pools in the backyards. I like to imagine all the people looking up and seeing me. 
The wheels come down, we roll along the runway for a bit, and then seat belt light goes off. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have arrived in Charleston, South Carolina. The local time is..."
That's it! We're here! I'm home!

End of Part I.

NiñaEstrella

More by NiñaEstrella