Project 1142

The coffee maker beeps in my old, warm, and surprisingly comfy olive green kitchen. I slowly walked over and pour myself a cup in my favorite mug. A mug from my granddaughter with a big smiley face on it. I am wearing my blue and white polka-dot pajamas. My curly white hair is a mess.  I can already hear my best friend, Samantha vacuuming her living room.

She is my next-door neighbor and likes to keep things tidy even more than I do. Samantha and I are similar in many ways. I think that is why we get along so well. Well, I can't see her that often because we both have a hard time walking over to each other's houses because we are quite old. 

My 83rd birthday is coming up and I probably won't have a party. My relatives live very far away and Samantha will be visiting her grandkids. I was thinking of ordering a mini cake to my doorstep and sharing it with my parakeet, Marnie. 

I better turn my computer on so I can order the cake, but first I put on my round glasses. I turn on the computer but it doesn't seem to work. This new technology is so hard to understand. The computer turns on and a fuzzy mix of black and white appears on the screen. The screen begins to speak. 

̈Attention computer users! Welcome to Project 1142. The purpose of this Earth communication is for us to take over all of Earth's technology forever. All technology will disappear from your life. Instantly. We will have all the power and there will be no one left to stop us.  Who are we you may ask? We are the aliens from Mars.¨ 

I started at the computer, completely stunned. What did this mean? It was all too much to juggle in my brain. Maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but the voice coming from the computer seemed so real. It was so vivid in my mind that it seemed like it could have really been an alien talking right to my face. 

After a long day, I settle into my bed. The day had been pretty good. Samantha and I had our favorite exotic tea in the morning, I read my sci-fi monthly magazine in the afternoon, and I watched a movie about outer-space in the evening. 

I am startled awake by a sudden animated voice. It seems to be coming from downstairs, but it is slowly getting louder. My eyes feel heavy and I start to wonder if I am dreaming. Then all of a sudden my computer walks into the room. It now has silver legs and is talking to me. The cartoon eyes on the screen locked with mine. 

¨You have many things of technology in your household. They all must be removed according to the protocol in Project 1142. A gigantic hovercraft is coming to your house. It will simply take everything that we don´t want Earth to have. How do we do this? We use a portal that transports the tech right to our underground lair where we are conducting Project 1142,¨ said the computer. 

¨I thought Mars had no signs of life on it. We sent rovers up there to see if we could find signs of life,¨ I said.

¨Silly humans. Our entire civilization is completely built underground. We destroyed the robot you humans sent to Mars. We are currently sending you videos of the deserted area of Mars. This area appears to be no signs of life to the human eye. If you look at it from an aliens perspective it just looks like home sweet home.
Sitting there upright in my bed I just can’t find the words for the oddity of the situation. There is just no possible way that this could really be happening. Could there?

Out of the ordinary, a whirring sound and green lights begin to flash all around me. Well, there has been a lot of extraordinary things in my day so far. A hovercraft crashes through my roof landing in the hallway in front of my bedroom. It is like most alien spaceships in movies and as the door opens my eyes freeze, my mouth drops, and I can´t believe the sight. Tons of mini green aliens come out of the hovercraft. They look the exact same except the color of their huge eyes.

¨We are here to take all technology. To bring it all to Mars. Earth will no longer be in control of the universe. It will be us, the true natives who control the land.¨

I feel dizzy so I go to put my glasses on and glance at the clock. It reads 11:42 P.M. now that I can see clearly I spot the mini aliens crawling everywhere taking all of my technology. There is a group of them carrying my cell phone to the portal to take it away by putting it in the portal. I quickly hop out of bed and try to stop them. I reach for my phone with my right hand and I feel a strong zap on my hand. The pain is very strong, but it doesn’t last long I fall over and blank out. 

I wake up. I go downstairs into my olive green kitchen. My white hair is a mess and my smiley mug is already out. I can´t stop thinking about this super weird dream I had last night. I dreamt that aliens came to my house in a hovercraft and took all of my technology. The coffee maker beeps and I walk over to pour myself some coffee. As I reach for the mug with a right hand I feel pain. It kind of feels electric. I set my mug down and look down. There is a faded scare in the shape of a circle on my right hand.  Where did that come from? 

slavike

More by slavike