Crystal Reeds

Shatterable, how utterly shatterable this world is. Once I was here, embraced in delicate arms that were so strong. I was embracing a blond headed, simple pathed, loving girl. If I breathed just deeply enough the grassy scent of the reeds surrounding us and her lavender shampoo would mix with the eucalyptus trees that sprout out of the vast plane - creating and entirely nostalgic smell. 

Here, nestled in the crook of three mountains you can look to your left and see nothing but reeds until they fade into the horizon. Then look to your right and feel overwhelmed by the sheer size, sections of earth that had been expelled from the ground, just to make this haven.  A stream snakes through the center of two of the mountains to break the calm feeling that the reeds had laid upon me.

All of the memories of what had happened here fall down on me, bricks pilling higher and higher until I'm crushed. Good times lifting me up- dancing and laying on the ground with nothing but the music the reeds made to keep us company. Caspian and I, We would talk and muse for hours, she would always say that the reeds were magic, that they were diamonds that could stand strong in the wind, playing music more lovely than a wind chime could ever hope to play. Then my last memory with her comes from the sky, grappling and grasping until it pins me down. It chokes me, forcing me to reply to it over and over, forcing me to feel the pain like a wound festering with disease. 

The reeds are no longer diamonds, they turn from the strongest mineral - to shattering on to the ground as shards of brittle crystal. Fragments - frayed and crippled. I can see the moments that we shared playing distorted in the pieces. Like windows into what should have been.

The vision of how happy she was that last day, it seemed better than normal, I was so excited for what was to come. Then she towed me off, trailed me in her wake as she glowed brighter than the sun. she stopped at the bank of the stream, eyes glowing with the exuberant colors around her. 

Yet she still did it. Through all the love that we shared and all the hope she had grown. Her hope had run out. 

She layed in the stream - disappearing into the ripples. Gone. 

The fall, 

The shatter,

The crumble,

I live through it all.

Ruby Tuesdays

More by Ruby Tuesdays

• Diamond Reeds

We shift through the reeds, chests touching, foreheads resting on each other. Our hands become moist from being held together for so long. The breeze makes the large plane full of reeds click, nearly sounding like diamonds.