The Lonely Wanderer

As the sun sets, and the dusk sinks into the world just like any night, the lonely wanderer treks up his mountain, once again. Nobody knows who he is, or where he came from. He’s essentially a folk tale, a ghost story. Some say he haunts the mountain he wanders every time the sun dies down, and the shadows set in. Some say he’s a ghost who roams the land. Only few have ever seen him. The few who have, say that he just roams up his mountain, he says nothing and pays no attention to anyone. No one who still breathes has ever met him. There is one man though, who has caught the eye of the wanderer. The wanderer spared a single look at the man. All the man says is that the wanderer held no expression on his face. But he saw something. His eyes, they were full of sadness. He doesn’t believe the wanderer is a ghost, and he doesn’t believe the wanderer is evil, or even bad.

In the end, nobody knows who the wanderer is, or where he came from. Maybe he had a family, a wife, some friends, but if so, that was all in the past. Nobody will ever know who the wanderer is or ever was. As the sun sets and the shadows consume the world, the lonely wanderer treks up the mountain, time, and time again.

Written by Xander Barton

Grade 8

Posted in response to the challenge Climber.

Summit House-WCS

YWP Instructor

More by Summit House-WCS