Release

It all started on one sunny June afternoon.  School had just gotten out, and finally, I got to go to camp. My mom was in the car waiting for me. She didn't really have to wait that long because I bolted out of the school. As I was getting into my mom's car, she asked, "Do you have any goals for the summer?" I said in a joking voice maybe I could try swimming again.  I don't think my mom took it as a joke because she went crazy. My mom was excited to hear me say this and thought it would be a great idea to get me a bathing suit. 

If you are wondering why I do not like to swim it’s because I almost drowned at my grandma’s house when I was little. There was a pool party that I was very excited to go to even though I didn’t know how to swim. My plan was to wear a life vest. Unfortunately the vest was very  uncomfortable. I took it off because I thought I could figure out this swimming thing. So  I jumped into the water without the life vest and I immediately felt myself sinking. I tried with all my might to get up but I just couldn't and I was starting to lose my breath. The next thing I remember was waking  up on a beach chair with my mother, telling me I almost drowned. After that, I didn't ever want to go near the water again. 

When we got home from school, I started packing for camp. I thought to myself maybe I will give swimming a go again this summer. That's when my mom came into my room with a bathing suit. I packed the suit and headed off to camp. My mother told my counselor Carol that I was interested in learning how to swim this summer. As the time came near for my swimming lesson I was scared and nervous to get back into the water. I put on my bathing suit and walked toward the water. As I got closer to the water I was starting to get scared, but I took a deep breath.  I thought to myself, "I am here in the present and I need to let that day go. I am surrounded by people that will help me if anything goes wrong." I went into the water  up to my waist. I had a great time playing games in the water.  For the rest of the summer, I went swimming almost every single day and loved it. 

Posted in response to the challenge Release.

mikey136

More by mikey136