"Why?"

"Why?"

"Oh, what did you say, child? Why?"

"Yes, why? Why do we live? Why do we exist? Why?" 

"I think it's a lot simpler than you might believe, child. Just look at the flowers."

"The flowers?"

"The flowers, yes."

"I don't understand."

"Tell me, child, for what reason does a flower grow?”

“I don’t know. There isn’t one.” 

“And yet, does the flower waver in reaching towards the sun, or sprouting each season?”

“....No. Never.”

“So, child, perhaps there is no why. Maybe, we are just because the flowers are.”

– Inspiration from Rage is a Wolf by KT Mather

happy_the_dog

CA

Sayornis p.

The Voice

April 2024

• Don't Be Afraid

Child, your future is best left unspoiled, so I may be too vague, or not vague enough. Don’t be afraid of the contents within this letter . . . (Although I know you will) Even your name rhymes with d...

• Planting

When Johnny first put that seed in the ground, when he first covered it with soil and gave it water, he had no idea how big it would become.Every day Johnny came back to that spot. And every day that ...

• Mermaid on Strike

I woke up in the dark, but I was dreaming. Memories of salt and scales. Turbulent clouds and cloying air that choked me. I searched for the ocean rhythm and found only a syncopated beat interrupted by...

• To My Teenage Self

i know you've noticed.the change in your eyes, like they used to be bluer.i know you've noticedthat something's missing from the sky, like it's gone grayer.i know you long for me,and i know why.becaus...

• From Snow Days and Green Leaves

I am NaomiFrom Japanese relativesWho refuse to call me anything but Isla-chan,Out of respect and stubbornness.I am Isla A middle-first name born to confuse everyone.And I am a million other nicknames ...

• She Saves Sea Shells

It is afternoon, and she is slick with sea residue and summer heat, draped in a sheer pearly sun gown. Minding the sand upon the shore, crystal waters bring her a shell, an oyster locket without its s...

• Women

Amelia taught us to soar.Marie taught us to think.Sally taught us to fly.Eleanor taught us to speak up.Jane taught us to write.Rosa taught us to stand up.Anne taught us not to forget our history.Frida...

• Tree so Tall

The seed will grow for years and years.It will grow strong and tall, with limbs so thick and leaves so green.My tree will have it all. In summer we may have a picnic in its shade, red checkered blanke...

• "Why?"

"Oh, what did you say, child? Why?""Yes, why? Why do we live? Why do we exist? Why?" "I think it's a lot simpler than you might believe, child. Just look at the flowers.""The flowers?""The flowers, ye...

• Pluvia

Time seems to move slower when it rainsCars hesitate before they turn Bird wings lag as raindrops batter their feathersThe world seems small and heavyMurky puddles are dumbbells on Earth's surfaceGree...

• Old Clothes

Old clothes that don’t fit anymore – they seem like they are calling your name, to hold on to them, forever and more,to be loved, to be used, to stay. But eventually, you must let go.Release your o...

• My First Love

From the moment I first saw you, I knew I would love you.You had a warm, comforting aura. Your sweet vanilla scent perfectly matched your character. From the moment I first saw you, sitting in the kit...