earleyg's picture

A Community Within A Community

Have you ever been part of something within something? A society within a society? A club within a club? A community within a community? Where you're tight-knit and friends and you know each other. Where you can predict how others will react and vice versa. I have been part of a community within a community, and I loved it. It was definitely my favorite two years. There was always something interesting, something new, something challenging. But I had friends who were taking me along for the ride and days when I would lead. But it wasn't just us; no it was a much larger community. We had culinary, science med, autobody, design and much more. If you were to remove us from the main community, we would not only survive, but thrive. We had people specializing in different fields with promising results. We had our own criminal justice and digital media. I talked to people I wouldn't have thought about talking with, sharing our experiences and making fun titles such as The Chef, The Pilot, The Director and The Doctor. It tore me when the first year ended and a good chunk of my friends moved on. But I was exposed to more opportunities in my second year and I while I honestly had more fun my first year, second year wasn't too bad either. I hated having to graduate. I was leaving behind the community that welcomed me, that knew my name and accomplishments, that treated me as an equal way better than the main community. The best part was that I had it every day for twice as long; 9:30 to 11:45. Now, those days of being able to bend the rules to make a production without fear of being penalized–it was even encouraged–are somewhat behind me. I don't want it to end, I don't want to move on from that community. I know there's so much more out there, but I wish I could have the best of both worlds.