Bookworm's picture

Dreaming

The scene in front of her was almost perfect. Almost.

The serene mountains. The calm water softly swish-swishing against her bare toes. The cool morning air settling into the valley. It was beautiful.

As she took in the scenery, she felt something… odd. Something that didn’t belong there. Something evil.

She slowly turned her head, already dreading what she was about to see. She feared it was the same thing… no. It couldn’t. It was impossible.

But was it?

She gasped with terror as she laid her eyes on it.

The monstrosity gnashed its’ long, cruel teeth at her, and the things’ cold, dead eyes watched her, gleaming with murder and hatred as it altogether leered at her. It made unnatural, guttural noises, noises out of horror movies.

Terrifying noises that nearly made her go pale with fright.

It began to crawl to her on all fours, starting slow at first, then gradually gaining speed with each movement. She watched it, frozen in fear, as it came closer. Thirty feet, fifteen feet, five feet away. She turned and tried to run, to get away from this thing, trying to run, run, run and―  

The alarm clock beeped it usual annoying beep. She sat up in her bed, still dazed― and even a little spooked― from her dream.

The monster had come to her again.

“Mortem,” she whispered. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes, still trying to figure out what was going on. She looked at the still-beeping alarm clock. It read 7:30 A.M.

Might as well get up now, she thought. She still hadn’t gotten over her dream. It still bothered her, as it did every time she had it. But it didn’t bother her as much as it did when she first had the dream.

She nearly went crazy that time.

She opened the door to her closet and took out her school uniform― a navy blazer with her school’s emblem imprinted on the right side of the chest, and a navy-and-white-plaid pleated skirt that came down to her knees. She dressed herself, and sat down on bed. She tugged her white calf-high socks on, and slipped her feet into her black Mary Janes. She got up and walked to her bathroom door, and proceeded to brush her brown hair into a tight bun. After she had finished, she descended the stairs, finding Cook making breakfast, like every other morning.

Her father sat in his chair reading the newspaper, and her mother sat in her chair also, touching up her makeup, as she always did.

“Good morning, Father and Mother,” she replied diplomatically.

“Good morning, Diana,” her father replied, still wrapped up in his newspaper. Her mother didn’t even reply.

As Diana sat down, her mother finally looked up.

“No makeup, Diana? What have I told you?” she said, scrunching her nose.

“Mother,” Diana said, “The school won’t let― “

“That doesn’t matter!” she interrupted, “If I tell you to do something, do it!” Almost immediately, her mother’s angry face changed into the calm, collected one she wore at cocktail parties and other public events.

“Coo-o-o-ok!” she said, anger still lining her voice, “We’re hun-n-n-gry!”

“I’m sorry, ma’am,” Cook said, “Here’s your dish,” Cook set the plate down in front of Diana’s mother. Diana almost salivated at the heaping plate full of scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon, and a huge bowl of fruit salad.

Cook set down a similar plate in front of Diana’s father.

“Here ya are, Mr. Beacon” she said.

“Thank you, Amara,” he replied. He always called Cook by her first name.     “And call me William. When someone calls me Mr. Beacon, I turn around to see if my father’s there,” he stated, smiling. Cook chuckled and headed back to the kitchen, getting Diana’s plate together.

“Diana,” Mr. Beacon asks, “How are your grades? Still keeping them up?” he smiled at his daughter.

“Yes, sir, I am,” she replied.

She listened to her parents eat their breakfast as she patiently waited for her own. Soon after, Cook walked in with Diana’s plate in one hand, and a pitcher of orange juice in the other. She set the plate down in front of Diana. Her plate was filled with a stack of three pancakes smothered in maple syrup; several slices of bacon; and a heaping bowl of fruit salad. Her usual breakfast.

Needless to say, she dug right in. Diana had finished her plate in ten minutes, with room still to spare. She might be skinny, but she could eat.

She alerted Cook to take her plate. Once her plate was gone, she got up and headed back to her room to retrieve her backpack. She stuffed it with the things she needed: books, textbooks, binders, and the like.

“Diana, Mr. Gregson is ready,” her father yelled up to her.

“I’m coming!”

She flew down the stairs and slowed down when she got to the main floor, due to her mother eyeing her closely. She calmly walked the rest of the way to the garage, where their many cars and limos sat waiting. She climbed in after her father and their chauffeur, Mr. Gregson, closed the door for her. He climbed into the driver’s seat and started the limo. He drive out of the garage and slowly maneuvered the vehicle down their driveway towards the gate. Once past the gate, he drove on his normal route towards Diana’s prep school.
•          •        •
    After she had eaten her dinner, showered, and changed into her pajamas, Diana laid down in her bed and tried to fall asleep.

Frankly, Mortem terrified her. She didn’t want to sleep; she knew he’d visit her again. Every dream she’d had since her best friend and passed away two years ago, he was there. Always waiting for her.

“You’re next,” he’d say as he leered at her.

She soon fell asleep despite her fears. She drifted into darkness for awhile as she slept. It soothed her.

She suddenly was at the beach again. The same scenery, the water splashing against her toes once again. She felt calm, and she even forgot about Mortem. She knew she safe here, away from the world, her world, at least. Diana heard a familiar voice, one that sounded sweet to her ears. One that she had long wanted to hear but never forgotten.

“Diana!” Alania said, with a bright smile aimed at her. Diana beamed at her best friend, happy that they were reconciled. Diana tried running to her friend, but her feet wouldn’t move. That’s when she noticed the thing coming up behind Alania.

Mortem was back.

“ALANIA!!” Diana screamed as her best friend turned back to look at the monster. Her face was nothing short of fear, knowing her fate.

Alania was gone. Mortem had…

From Diana’s eyes, tears flowed uncontrollably. Her best friend had been right there a second ago. Now all that stood there was Mortem. Leering at her once again.

“Aren’t you afraid, Diana? Why aren’t you running?” he said menacingly. He got down on all fours, beginning his trek towards Diana once again. Once he was just three feet in front of her, Diana put her palm out towards the monster. It stopped, confused. A brilliant bright light glowed from her hand, and Mortem began to whimper. Now he was scared!

As he ran back, the powerful light shot out of her palm, aimed at the monster. He bellowed with fear and pain as it consumed him. He turned to Diana once again.

“You will never… defeat… me,” he said, as the last part of him was consumed. Once he was gone, Diana breathed heavily. She’d killed him. Actually killed him! He was gone. He’d never torture her poor mind again.

She whooped in triumph, happy that the monster that had been in her dreams for two years had finally been killed.

But was it?