20jhenderson's picture

America Through the Economy

Americans have changing views on the economy, and they have changing values. Americans want to combat issues, but many also believe that the current methods are ineffective, or actually harming the economy. Many americans observe issues, then don’t want to fix them themselves, and simply put the issue onto future generations, or leave it for another to deal with, this statement extends to more than just economics. The economy is a window into American Values, and Tendencies.

Most Americans view tariffs as harmful. In a survey done by the Pew Research Center, 49% of Americans view the tariffs as harmful, that’s compared to 40% of Americans that view them as helpful. Tariffs might seem to help some industries in the short term, but have already begun harming other larger industries, and will continue to eliminate jobs in the long term.    

The article from USA Today, United Steelworkers: Metals tariffs are crucial to national security, addresses the issue from the point of view of the workers who’s metal plants are being closed by “the subsidized metal pouring in from China”. The leader of the steelworkers union sees the issue as something America needs to address. They believe that putting tariffs on metals will allow the plants to continue operations and increase american production of aluminum and steel. The rationalization of the tariffs is also for national security, which shows nationalist tendencies of America. The steelworkers view shows the opposite perspective on the tariffs.

The American view on the economy takes a more nationalist view than one of globalism, focusing more on just the United States than the world as a whole. Americans focus on our economy and hold it above all others. Many Americans want the cheap products without thinking about where they come from. Many consumers are short sighted, opting to purchase the cheaper object that might be lower quality, and is from overseas. Then the same Americans, and consumers look at our economy and the trade deficit, and say it’s an issue while doing nothing about it. What can be taken away from this observation is Americans can be hypocritical and struggle to deal with issues in meaningful productive ways. Additionally the nationalist approach to the economy can be observed to extend to nationalist tendencies in other american policies. Conversely trade deficits can create situations where the people in the deficit can’t change their purchasing habits, and therefore are stuck in a downward spiral. An observation of american consumerism habits can clearly show american values.

The American Economy clearly shows how America functions, and the leanings of America. The tariffs show american viewpoints and they show americans are beginning to lean more toward nationalism. And an observation of american consumerism shows a pattern of pushing issues further down the road, and leaving them for someone else to deal with. Americans need to deal with our economic issues in productive ways.According the the USA Today opinion article, Donald Trump’s tariffs are upsetting everyone, the tariffs may cause plants in Arkansas to close if they aren’t given an exemption. Many Americans view the tariffs as harmful to the economy as a whole.

The American Economy clearly shows how America functions, and the leanings of America. The tariffs show american viewpoints and they show americans are beginning to lean more toward nationalism. And an observation of american consumerism shows a pattern of pushing issues further down the road, and leaving them for someone else to deal with. Americans need to deal with our economic issues in productive ways.

20jhenderson's picture
About the Author: 20jhenderson
Jasper