Writing on the Roof #2 - The Killer College Essay

WORKSHOP #2: HOW TO WRITE A KILLER COLLEGE ESSAY

WHEN: Tuesday, March 26, 6 PM - 7:30 PM (with pizza!)
WHO: For high school juniors and sophomores. Parents are welcome!
WHERE: Rooftop conference room, Karma Bird House, 47 Maple St., Burlington. Take the elevator from Maglianero Cafe to the third floor and follow the signs up to the top!
FEE: $10 per person or family. Scholarships available. Pay fee or choose scholarship option on sign-up form. OR pay at the door!

SIGN UP HERE!

ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP: How to Write a Killer College Essay
This workshop is designed for high school juniors and seniors who are considering college. Denise Shekerjian, lawyer, writer and author of books and literary essays, specializes in working with students on their college admission essays, medical school applications, and other graduate and fellowship applications. Learn how to avoid common pitfalls in your personal statement that result in dull and predictable essays. Understand the well-worn clichés and how to steer clear of the “I love people, I’m great at math!!!” theme in your essay. From finding your narrative to capturing it on the page, she covers it all. You’ll come away with a good appreciation for how to reflect on and synthesize an experience.

ABOUT DENISE SHEKERJIAN

Denise Shekerjian is a writer and a lawyer who also consults with students on their application essays. She is the author of two works of nonfiction including Uncommon Genius, a narrative look at how great ideas are born. Based on interviews with 40 winners of the MacArthur Prize or so-called “genius award,” she pieced together a picture of the creative process in action. Her two-year blog on the artistic process was cited in her award of an honorary doctorate of letters from the University of Vermont, 2012. Her essays and short stories have earned two Pushcart Prize nominations and have appeared in many literary journals. Recent work made the semi-finals for the Mary C. Mohr Award and earned honorable mention at Glimmer Train. Previous to her writing life, Denise pursued a career in law. With a J.D. and an LL.M. attained on full fellowship, she worked first in human rights and then as a federal trial attorney – Southern District of New York, highly profiled headline cases, criminal defense. Competent Counsel, a nonfiction look at working with lawyers, drew from these years.  Find out more about Denise and her range of writing services at her website, soulofaword.com.

SIGN UP TODAY!
Event Date: 
Tuesday, March 26, 2019