Thank you, thank you, thank you

What a wonderful day it was Friday as so many many people participated in VERMONT WRITES DAY!

The day was Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing, a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our friends around the country) took just seven minutes (or more) to write to any of seven fun prompts, including 4Photos (above). Or they picked "General" and wrote about their own ideas. 

Many schools participated and principals, teachers, teachers' aides, visitors also jumped in. Many schools reported that their entire school participated and also took time out to share what had been written.

We could ask for nothing more to show the importance of writing and the fun of writing.

So stay tuned -- we'll be going through all your posts here and tn the special Vermont Writes Day site, vermontwritesday.org (which is open now only to view) and we'll be publishing the very best over the next few weeks. And by the way: If you wrote on paper, and you or your students liked what they wrote, please send your work (with name, grade, school, email) to Young Writers Project, 47 Maple Street, Suite 216, Burlington, VT 05401.

FYI, here were the challenges:

1. Elves: Some people believe that forests are enchanted places, with elves living there. Write a story or poem about the forest elves. Or tell the tale of a person who doesn't believe in elves, but something happens to make them less certain.

2. Spaghetti. You've walked past this sign for years. One day, it seems to be calling you inside -- and the adventure begins. Tell the story.

3. Courage: Describe a time, real or fictional, when you have to summon up your courage. Focus on the actual "moment of truth," when time slows down and you have to commit to breaking through. What happens and how do you feel afterward?

4. Rule: You have just been put in charge of the world, but you can only make one rule. What is it and what events or experiences led you to it?

5. Jefferson: Thomas Jefferson said, "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Write about a situation in which you, or a character you have created, put a lot of work into something, and then luck seems to follow.

6. Moneybag: Two strangers happen upon a bag of money while they're waiting for a train. Who are they? What do they do?

7. 4Photos. Choose one of the four photos in the slideshow and write a story or poem about it.

Event Date: 
Friday, February 1, 2019
Attachment: