Vermont Writes Day 2019!

Vermont Writes Day: Friday, February 1!
Seven challenges! Seven minutes!

This is Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing, a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our friends around the country) take just seven minutes (or more) to write to any of seven fun prompts (or pick "general" if you want to write about your own idea.)

You can participate on your own, or in class with fellow students and teachers; you can use pencil and paper (and send us the best), chisels and stone tablets; you can post here and respond to the challenges (links below or see CHALLENGES in top menu bar) or you can post on https://vermontwritesday.org which will be open on that day only (and will be monitored) and you can post without having to log in or create an account!

So have fun. And come back again if you had fun and make every day (or most every day) Writes Day.

The Challenges:

COURAGE: Describe a time, real or fictional, when you have to summon up your courage. Focus on the actual "moment of truth," when time slows down and you have to commit to breaking through. What happens and how do you feel afterward?

ELVES: Some people believe that forests are enchanted places, with elves living there. Write a story or poem about the forest elves. Or tell the tale of a person who doesn't believe this, but then something happens to make them less certain.

JEFFERSON: Thomas Jefferson said, "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Write about a situation in which you, or a character you create, put a lot of work into something, and then luck seems to follow.

MONEYBAG: Two strangers happen upon a bag of money while they're waiting for a train. Who are they? What do they do?

RULE: You have just been put in charge of the world, but you can only make one rule. What is it and what events or experiences led you to it?

SPAGHETTI: You've walked past this sign for years. One day, it seems to be calling you inside -- and the adventure begins. Tell the story.

4PHOTOS: Choose one of the photos in the slideshow and write a story or poem about it.

GENERAL: Write about anything that you feel like writing about.