Sophia B's picture

The Emerald Ash Borer

Have you ever looked at piece of ash wood and seen these weird tunnel-like mazes all around it? Well if you have, you’ve likely witnessed the work of the larva of the emerald ash borer. We need to take action to stop the emerald ash borer now but also do more research about them for the future.

The emerald ash borer, a small beetle from Asia known for its metallic green color, is believed to have entered the country on wooden packing material from China. The first U.S. identification of emerald ash borer was in southeastern Michigan in 2002. Now 17 years later the emerald ash borer has spread to the midwestern, eastern United States and parts on Canada. The emerald ash borers are spreading all across the world and they are spreading fast.

The problem is the emerald ash borer’s larvae love to eat the wood under the bark of an ash tree, and the adult beetle loves to nibble on the ash foliage. As a result, the ash trees have trouble transporting water and nutrients, resulting in dieback and splitting. This is really bad because ash trees are valuable and abundant North American woodland trees.  “The estimated total number of ash trees range between 7 to 9 billion, but the emerald ash borer has destroyed 40 million ash trees in Michigan alone and 10 of millions of ash trees throughout the other states and Canada,” (Arbor Day Foundation).

First, people need to take steps now to save ash tree, starting with learning to identify ash trees. If they find any signs of emerald ash borers then they need to report it.

Even more say that we should keep firewood local and if we see any signs of the emerald ash borers to contact the USDA (United States Department Of Agriculture), also you shouldn't cut down your ash tree until late fall if you do than that can make the emerald ash borer spread faster.

In addition, we should research pesticides that are organic non-toxic and only kill the emerald ash borer and learn why some trees are resistant. We should create a pesticide that only kills emerald ash borer. I know that pesticides are toxic and that they harm more than one insect, but researchers could potentially create a pesticide that is organic and targets the emerald ash borer.

Some people say we should just let nature take its course. But that is not really a good idea if all the ash trees die. Ash trees help people in many ways, including … “Cooling our streets; they conserve energy; they prevent soil erosion, they contribute to management of water in the wetlands, they increase property value, they create jobs, and make baseball bats. If mostly all the ash trees die than that can be very bad.” (Vermont Invasives).About 99.7% of ash trees die once they have an untreated emerald ash borer infestation, but the emerald ash borer doesn’t seem to like  the other 0.03% of ash trees. So another way to deal with emerald ash borer is, we can do some more research about those other ash trees that the emerald ash borer don't seem to like and grow more of them.

In conclusion I think that we should take action now but also research new pesticides that only harm the emerald ash borer and are not toxic to people or the land. Additionally, we should research the 0.03% of ash trees that the emerald ash borers don't seem to like. After reading this, I hope you will agree with me on how to stop the emerald ash borers.

Bibliography
“Emerald Ash Borer.” Emerald Ash Borer - The Arbor Day Foundation, www.arborday.org/trees/health/pests/emerald-ash-borer.cfm.

“Emerald Ash Borer Beetle.” USDA APHIS | Emerald Ash Borer Beetle, www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/pests-diseases/hungry-pests/the-threa....

Matsoukis. “Emerald Ash Borer Information Network.” Emerald Ash Borer, www.emeraldashborer.info/.

“Vermont Invasives.” Emerald Ash Borer in Vermont | Vermont Invasives, vtinvasives.org/land/emerald-ash-borer-vermont.

Sophia B's picture
About the Author: Sophia B