Staff & Board

YWP STAFF

Susan Reid, YWP Executive Director, is a former journalist who joined YWP in 2011 as publications coordinator. She became executive director in July 2018. Susan worked for many years as a reporter, political bureau chief and copy editor at the Toronto Star before moving to Vermont to live (and ski) in the mountains and work at the Burlington Free Press. She was hired by Geoffrey Gevalt, founder of YWP, twice -- first at the Free Press and later at YWP. As YWP's publications coordinator she created The Voice, YWP’s digital magazine, ran the newspaper series, edited the yearly anthology and conceived and ran special projects. Her username on youngwritersproject.org is Reid.  

Geoffrey Gevalt founded YWP as a weekly newspaper feature in 2003 while he was managing editor of the Burlington Free Press as a way to emphasize the importance of writing, to provide ideas for better instruction of writing and to give students affirmation for their best work. In 2006, with a grant from the Vermont Business Roundtable, he founded YWP as an independent nonprofit. Geoff was YWP's executive director until July 2018 when he stepped down to pursue his own writing. Beginning in September 2018, Geoff went to part-time to support YWP's websites, which he developed, and to work with several schools and teachers. Prior to YWP, Gevalt worked for 33 years as a journalist, mostly in newspapers. His work as a writer and editor earned many awards, including the George S. Polk Award. He was a juror for the Pulitzer Prizes for two years. 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Kathy Folley, Chair (retired teacher)
Michael Mathon, Treasurer (financial advisor, Ameriprise Financial)