Staff & Board

Young Writers Project would not be able to function without the dedication and hard work of its staff and board of directors.

Geoffrey Gevalt, YWP Executive Director and Founder, founded YWP as a weekly newspaper feature in 2003 while he was managing editor of The Burlington Free Press as a way to emphasize the importance of writing, to provide ideas for better instruction of writing and to give students affirmation for their best work. In 2006, with a grant from Vermont Business Roundtable, he founded YWP as an independent nonprofit. Prior to YWP, Gevalt worked for 33 years as a journalist, mostly in newspapers. His work as a writer and editor earned many awards, including the George S. Polk Award. He was a juror for the Pulitzer Prizes for two years. (802-324-9537)

Susan Reid, YWP Publications Coordinator, is a former reporter, city hall bureau chief, editor, and editorial writer at newspapers in Toronto and Vermont. Having worked for more than 20 years as a journalist, she is now Editor of The Voice, YWP’s digital magazine, runs the Newspaper Series, edits the yearly anthology and conceives and runs a variety of special projects and challenges.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Douglas Dickey, Chair
(Associate Dean, University of Vermont)
Michael Mathon, Treasurer (financial advisor, Ameriprise Financial)
Kathy Folley, Secretary (retired teacher)
Val Gardner, Past Chair (education consultant and former high school principal)
Hal Colston (Director, Partnership for Change; education consultant, Burlington School District)
Don Posner (accountant, American Tax)
Jeff Baron (musician, sound guy and youth organizer)
Kathy Yanulavich (refugee resettlement volunteer and graphic designer)
Colin Dodgson (graphic designer and web merchandizer, Terry Bicycles)
Nicholas Morley (YWP Alum and pre-med student)
Cecilia Giordano (YWP Alum and undergraduate student)

KEY ADVISERS

Barbara Ganley
, digital artist and educator
John Canning, president, Physician's Computer Company
Stephen Kiernan, author.
Matt Dunne, community affairs director, Google.
Alan Levine, digital innovator and educator