The Start

Objectives: Go from the nest to the ocean, right across the beach. Easy, right?

Unfortunately for them, it's more of a life or death mission.

The baby turtles had just crawled out of their shells, not yet ready to face the dangers ahead of them.

One of the newly born turtles crawled forward, “It’s not that far, I’ll make it with no problem.” He said, already crawling out of the nest towards the sea.

His brothers and sisters watched as the turtle slowly slid across the sand, it seemed easy enough. Then a large creature zoomed out from one of the trees, quickly snatching up the moving turtle before flying away. That was the end of the brave little turtle’s journey.

His brothers and sisters watched in shock, too shaken by what they had just witnessed.

“Guys, we must reach the sea. If we don’t, we will be eaten by those air creatures sooner or later.” One of the turtles spoke up, and the rest of the turtles reluctantly agreed.

One by one, they cautiously setted out for the sea, which suddenly seemed much further away. They know stopping is not an option, because once they do, it’ll be the end.

Out of everyone, only some will survive.

The turtles couldn’t stop crawling forward, even when they heard the sound of those creatures approaching and snatching another one of their siblings away. The sea, that’s their safe place…for now. 

This is the mission, the start of their life.

Olive_tree

NY

More by Olive_tree

• Dream

It was almost calming, lying in a little wooden boat floating in the middle of the ocean. The boat was only big enough for me to lie in, and the waves were little, gently pushing the boat forward. To where? I did not know.