On The Dark Side of the Moon

Author tools:

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....Blast Off!

My rocket shot up into the sky. I flew through Earth’s atmosphere, and suddenly I was surrounded by billions of stars, and a vast, empty, big, black, dark space.

My rocket landed on the moon. The door opened, and I stepped out.

I was in my big, bulky space suit, with my big air tank. Since there was little gravity in space, I felt like I was floating. I bounced around for a while.

I hadn’t been paying much attention to my surroundings, but when I really looked around closely for the first time, I realized it had gotten a whole lot darker than when I had first arrived on the moon.

About five minutes later I was standing in complete darkness.

I remembered how the moon spun around the Earth, and realized with a shiver, that I was on the dark side of the moon ....

I couldn’t see much in the darkness, but as my eyes became accustomed to the dim light, I could just make out the outline of a huge, long, tall animal. Actually, I could see many, many of the bodies. And when I looked closer, I realized with a terrified feeling, that the huge, long, tall frightening creatures were dinosaurs.

I wanted to run, but I didn’t. I knew that if I made even a tiny noise, the dinosaurs would hear me, and probably eat me. But that was before I saw the one who was asleep.

This one seemed to have big, rubbery spines everywhere. I had to touch them, to see what they were made out of. My class would be amazed and speechless to hear that I’d touched a dinosaur’s spikes. And on the moon, too! Just a tiny, quick touch. That’s all. I took one small step forward, reached out my hand, and .... there! I’d touched it!

Any other person would have let go immediately, or just not have touched the dinosaur at all. But me? No. I was too fascinated.

The spine felt rubbery, and springy, but hard, and sharp at the same time.

Just then the dinosaur stirred. I was about to let go, but it was too late. The dinosaur had taken off flying. I held on for dear life.

If I let go, I would never see the light of day again.

The dinosaur didn’t even seem to notice me. He just kept flying. I screwed my eyes tight shut, and before I knew it, I was back on the moon. I let go of the dinosaur, and stood there. trembling.

I had been so busy being scared, that I hadn’t even noticed it getting lighter and lighter. And there, right before me, was my rocket. Door open and waiting.

I bounced up to it, hopped in, pressed go, and took off for home.

»