Leading Up to the Scream

The world is one stressful place. Being in Tsarist Russia and the lower middle class. I am a rather tall fellow and I am told that I am rather androgynous. The ridicule from people as a child was demoralizing and I decided to separate myself from others from that. I have a different perception of things from the average person. I find beauty in a freshly crafted blade or horseshoe, rather than things that “normal” people find beautiful. They scare me to death. I have encountered situations that still to this day make me cringe: the sight of a baby puppy, a meadow of flowers, but the worst was the sunset on January 22, 1892.

I would leave my house each morning, wearing my black clothes while heading off to the blacksmith shop. The black on the clothing, of course, to contrast the remnants of the burnt coal dust. I was a hardworking man and made a good living. I had to be to make a living. Most days, people would mainly need a horse shoe After a long hard day in the pit, I start home. My home was lakeside, past the pier which I fished on in my youth, and not much of interest was en route to or from my work. Then, I would head to the tavern for some time, getting the news from the other men who gave me their acquaintance. I wouldn’t  say that they were my friends, but I could not say otherwise.

On the frightful day of the 22nd, it started out like the others. I went to my job and exhausted myself. I returned home that day to see the most dreaded of things. As I passed the pier, I looked to the sky and was scared half to death. The sky looked as if it were on fire! A bright orange covered the sky. I grabbed my face and screamed. Others around me were amazed in the so-called beauty of this event. One man actually was painting in my direction. I quickly ran home and hid under my bed, Expecting the world to catch fire at any second.

It turns out that the world did not end on that date. Though, to my embarrassment, the local painter captured my pose during my scream. It made me look smaller than I did and I don’t think he knew whether or not I was a man.

»