The Rainforest

We walked for what felt like days, we traveled across a desert and over a mountain. Until we reached a rainforest, thick and dark under the high canopy of the trees. The thought of all the animals that are potentially stalking us; snakes, birds, lizards, and pumas. Pumas are terrifying, especially the ones from the rainforest, they are huge. The thought sent shivers down my spine. I took a deep breath and proceeded into the dark depths of the jungle. I came to a realization that the rainforest isn’t that bad. The calming part is the constant flow of the trees mixed with the chirping birds. It soothed me, made me feel safe. The flow of water can be heard in the distance. Water, we haven’t had water for a couple of hours and I am so parched. My mouth is dry, my face sunburnt. It had been awful, but that cold refreshing water is gonna feel so good. As we approached the water I had an eerie feeling. Something was watching us, I stopped and looked around in a full 360. Saw nothing, still had the same feeling. I heard a low growl off to the left, then a big black figure moved along a branch right out in front of us. A big black puma, I didn’t know what to do, I started to back away, then it lunged out at me… 

Caleb Haikey