human

As new January arises, one more layer of complications spreads throughout the lavender atmosphere.
As new January arises, one more layer of this-way-to-be (no, it's that-way-to-be) sprinkles down
like rain. An eternal shower across the world, and the meteoroligists have a party
as a thousand new ways to fold the hems and buy eco-friendly brands and speak in scandalous sarcasm
rain down, down, down. You can't be, you know. Trendy. That makes you a try-hard
You can't be not trendy. Then you're just some self-pitying, attention-seeking, "ooh it's a rebel."
You've got to not not be trendy, the double negative, the unsung formula---
but formulas are too complicated and  brainy for them hourglasses, so "let's just make some silly
little joke about formulas and how we all suck at math" and then forget we ever said anything
because no conversation, grand or petite, is of any importance to them. They check all the boxes:
the unspoken agreement of sarcasm and "goofiness," the pile of sports, the chunky mascara,
the highlights, the individualized fit check stories, the success in only ever shopping at eco-friendly brands,
the---the---the---the lack of sensitivity, that's what it is. "Remember that time, so insignificant, yet so
wonderful all the same?" No. Of course you don't. You're a teenager, after all. So wear your
Independence like a cape and your Pride like a crown and your Optimism for all, unfaltering kindness,
articial at best, but with no proof... You're a teenager, after all. You'd never admit to perfection,
because "nobody's perfect," but then why do you strive so hard for it? With your curvy hourglass,
your 3-inch shirts, your pastel Nikes, your layered hair, why should you care? You are above
sensitity. Vulnerability. You'd never admit this, but it is the show you're always putting on. You are above
nostalgia. Joy. Pain. Grief. Wonder. Curiosity. Smarts. Cringiness. Sentiment. Laughter. Tears.
You are above being human.

P.S. The nice part of me pities you, at best. On the other hand, I wish you'd cut the act, because
it's only pissing everyone else off. Oh, so you're all... impressive? Sounds about right, because
you've gotten the world all jealous of you, crooning over you and your Hourglass, while you're still
beating yourself up over it. Funny little predicament... and I'm so sick of putting up with it, watching it unravel
and unleash. Everybody is jealous of your insecurities. Let me say that again---everybody is jealous
of your insecurities. Funny little predicament. Yeah. Have fun clawing your way out of that one.

elise.writer

More by elise.writer

• butterflies

i don't want to love someone

because i'm supposed to

you told me, one night in mid-july.

warm air and sun fading in the sky,

i want to fall in love with someone

• lotus

i've heard this story a thousand times before.

i've seen it unfold. it started with a glance, became a smile,

became a longing. when i realized it was my turn,

i was too late. no one told me how hard it would be