Happiness is Where the Food is

Happiness is the crack of a piece of peppermint bark and the cool sting of sour lemonade.
Happiness is kimchi and rice.
Happiness is noodle kugel.
Happiness is cooked up in a great big oven and served to you, still warm, whether you like it or not.
Happiness is fresh bread.
Happiness is hot, sweet chai in a favorite mug.
Happiness is doled out on a well-loved plate and gobbled voraciously with a bent spoon
Happiness is when it's so close, you can nearly taste it and it tastes like babka and baklava and homemade waffles in a big heavy waffle maker encrusted with the batter of Saturday mornings past.
Happiness is fried turkey on Thanksgiving that is absolutely shredded by an electric carver. No one's lost a finger yet!
Happiness is Chinese dumplings on Christmas and hotdogs on Halloween.
Happiness is when your stomach is full of light and golden Philo dough and joy.
Happiness is raspberries.
Happiness is a sweet sugar snap pea, fresh off the vine and still warm from the sparkling summer sun.
Happiness is butter.
Happiness is often found in the kitchen, loud and hot, cursing when the handle on the casserole dish breaks right out of the oven, and laughing when the casserole stays intact.
Happiness is where the food is.

roxyforthewin

MA

More by roxyforthewin

• Loon Song

Author's note: I recently found out that a school that I loved sold their camp in the Adirondacks, where I have many fond memories. This grief inspired some writing, which I have posted below. 

• Bells

Once, on a fine September Tuesday when the air was bright and clear, every bell in the world rang at once. They didn’t play a song. There was no melody. Just one collective ring.